Chapter 21

(Kate's POV)

"I cannot believe you fucking left me in the zoo all night."

"Dude I'm sorry, we had to make it believable." Luke scuffs his converse on the hard gravel road, avoiding eye contact with Ashton.

We are currently heading back to Ashton's house from the zoo, consisting of me, a pissed off Ash and a cocky Luke.

"Well nice job! You tricked even me asshole."

"Okay! Guys calm down okay? We all know Luke is an asshole and Ashton needs to learn how to stay sober during a mission." I butt in, needing to stop their arguing before someone gets kicked in the balls.

"No kidding." Ashton huffs, crossing his arms.

The whole rest of the way home stays silent, no one wanting to continue the conversation about what happened back at the zoo.

-

"Kate come on you're going to be late to your therapy session!" Luke yells from the stair steps. I groan in response, but quiet enough to hear a thud from downstairs followed by a string of profanities.

"Luke did you trip again?"

"Maybe."

"That's the problem when you have long ass legs Luke." I scoff, crawling out from the warm bed. The cool air hits me head on, sending a wave of shivers down my spine. It seems like all I have done lately is slept, which is good because it gives me an escape from this shitty Michael-less reality. My heart aches for him and I can't seem to get him out of my head, no matter how hard I try.

I quick throw on a loose pink tee and leggings, not really caring about my choice of clothing considering it's just Dr. Alison.

"I really do love you in leggings." Luke squeezes my hips from behind, making me jump.

"Could you be any less of a pervert Hemmings?"

"Nope! I'm a teenage boy. That's kind of what we do." He smirks, finally letting go.

"I'm sure reading porn is on that list too."

"Now that Kate, is none of your business." His cheeks turn a deep crimson, revealing his false statement.

"I KNEW IT!"

"Shh okay get in the car before I strap you to the hood of it."

We head outside to the vehicle and drive to the hospital without another word.

-

"How are you doing Kate?"

My hand continues to tap on the couch while my other hand traces over the simple pattern on the fabric.

"Okay I guess."

"What do you mean by 'I guess'?" She scribbles something down in her notebook, dropping her eye contact with me.

"I don't know. I miss him."

"Michael?"

"Yeah."

"Did he tell you where he was going?"

"No. Luke doesn't know and neither does Ash." I sigh, upset that Michael would just leave.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah? Why would they lie to me?"

"Why did you lie to Michael when you were depressed?" Her question leaves me to think for a minute, silence filling the small room.