The Raven's Beak Taps On Glass

[EDIT (3/29/16)- the image above is of Izumi. Comes from my deviantart, link below.)

Year of 854, 23rd of July. Time: 10:35

   My name is Izumi Schmidt. I am a 17 year old cadet in the Cadet Training Corps. I have just exited the Training Regiment with the rank of #3 at graduation. I'm on my way to the Scout Regiment HQ within Wall Rose. I was born in Shiganshina District, Wall Maria; but I used to live in Trost District, with my auntie.

    I have multiple reasons that I am in this carriage today.

    My mother died in the breach of Wall Maria in 845, when the Colossal Titan and Armored Titan smashed through Wall Maria.  After that, I was sent to my Aunt Flora; who was working in Trost. I wanted to fight back against those titans and my Aunt Flora cheered me on to do it; unlike my mother, who had me caged in her private schoolhouse as both an assistant teacher for the kids and her personal handmaid.

   However, once I went to my Aunt Flora....she let me remove the apron and let me be free. Then Trost was attacked by the titans in 850 and my Aunt Flora was eaten by those disgusting monsters. I was only 12...naturally, I was scared to death and in grief.

A year later in 851, I went into service and here I am now.

     During my training....I became acquainted with one of the captains from the Scout Regiment. He and I saw eye to eye (well, we're practically the same height). I do not remember his name...but I remember his rank title being Captain. It's been years since I've last seen him, so it's not unusual...maybe today might be the day I see him again, don't ya think?

Heck, I dunno.

[END OF ENTRY]

--------------------- ---- -----------------------

[regular pov]

   Izumi slips her journal into her uniform chest pocket and looks out the window to see the castle that houses the Scout Regiment HQ. It's a nice classy one, like she saw in a novel she read once.

   Her superiors said it was all but useless to the Regiment back in the old days. It was abandoned completely until a certain brown haired titan-shifter boy caused them to dig through it and make it look like new. Izumi wondered who that boy is.

    The carriage stops and she exits, stepping onto the pavement in front of the headquarters. Commander Erwin walks over and welcomes her. "Welcome to HQ." "Thanks, Commander" she replies to the tall gentleman.

Another gentleman, about her height, opens the door. Izumi recognizes him instantly.

[Izumi's POV]

 I instantly recognized him...his raven black hair with the undercut and those eyes like a wolf's with irises a solid steel grey. Still the same height as ever...he looked to me and stopped. "Greetings, Captain. It has certainly been quite awhile since we last met, hasn't it sir? I hope to be of service to you..." I said to him...and he replied with a "tch". He doesn't seem to recognize me...that's too bad.

  I gave a soft smirk and a few minutes later I am put on table-cleaning duty in the mess hall. How quaint, eh? It smells like lemons in here, which kinda settles my nerves. I don't know why, but when I am in a place with a smell that is unfamiliar to me, I freak out and my anxiety goes haywire. It's been like this ever since I left Mom's house....quite odd in all honesty.

     I even got to meet the titan shifter boy. His name's Eren Jaegar. He tells me every cadet has to prove cleaning skills. He tells me Levi is a clean freak, which doesn't surprise me one bit. Mother was just like that: she'd wipe her finger on the surface and if there was one little speck of dust, I got a whipping and I had to do it all over again...it's tiring all together. Captain Levi walks in and does just that, scolding Jaegar quite badly about it...wait, correction: he's not as bad as mom was. Then he comes over to inspect the tables, wiping a finger on each one and looking.

     He gives an expression of both shock and gratitude after checking each table. After the last table, he told me; "Hmm. Not a speck...nice work for a rookie." Nobody else is in the room, so he gives me a soft smirk and nods.

I sigh in relief and fall to the floor, exhausted.

Cleaning all the tables in the mess hall is not easy...although it is fun.

[Until Next Time.....]