The 58th Expedition

Before you read this chapter, please review this small note:

----

The following chapter may contain: 

Several brief depictions of death, language, and this chapter will be jam packed with lots of titans. 

This product may also contain moments of grief and epic plot twists. (and nuts)

("everything including the kitchen sink" is probably your current thought, isn't it?)

----

This chapter is pretty much not one for people who cannot stand depictions of deaths by titans.

....Don't say I didn't warn you.

|>/\/------/\/<[Chapter 11: The 58th Expedition]>\/\-------\/\<|

  Izumi's Diary: 5th of April, Year 857. Time is 23:30.

     It's almost the day of the 58th Expedition, in which we go outside the walls...Erwin says I am now well enough to come along, but....I don't know what to do. What if I end up like I did last time I went outside of HQ? What would they say if I ended up as Titan Feed? What if.....

    ...[SIGH]...I can do this. As my Aunt Flora always told me..."Keep your spirits up and your swords higher". She died because of those naked freaks we fight....I need to make her proud. I need to stay strong....for him....and for my fellow soldiers.

   All of us fight for our own separate reasons...I fight to prove to those who ridicule me that I'm not a oblivious twat just because I was born with the thing that causes these 'neural sparks' I get every-so-often...I also fight to avenge those humanity has lost to the titans...and to secure freedom for everybody in these walls once the Titans are extinct. Eren fights to avenge his mother and to see the outside world one day, Mikasa fights to protect Eren, and well...Levi's reason is unknown to me. 

    Aunt Flora's reason was to break free of the tedium every young woman in our family has to go through...the same one my mother tried to imprison me into as a child...following family standards got her eaten, now didn't it? She kinda deserved it for all the beatings she put me through. Both my Aunts agreed...and my uncles as well! It's kinda disturbing that they agreed, now that I think about it a bit more....

    I admired Aunt Flora like a mentor because she had seen what my former captain had to go through and she knew the reason why he kept fighting even in despair...it was a choice he made with no regrets what-so-ever, right? That's what she and the Commander said.

I got to start making the same type of decisions...ones with no regrets afterwards...I can't let my cadets down, now can I? I'm gonna have to play the act of role model for these guys now...

...You're a captain now Izumi. You got a job to do and you know what you gotta do, right?

--------------

[THE NEXT DAY...]

   Levi walks up to the door next to his office and knocks before opening it. He kneels next to the occupied cot and smirks. "Oi, brat...it's time to wake up, today's the expedition..." Levi says as he shakes the figure within the cot blankets. The figure turns and her face is revealed...Levi sighs and gives a soft smile. 

   Underneath those blankets is Izumi Schmidt, a cadet recently promoted. After Commander Erwin had discovered the will written by her aunt, Lance Corporal Flora Schmidt, Izumi received the assistance she needed to get herself promoted to Levi's rank of Captain.