Chapter I

Vote , Comment , Like

Courting Lady Rebecca

Crynant, 1819

Chapter 1 

“Yes Father, You’’ve called upon my audience “ replied Rebecca she had now seated herself in their small drawing room feeling an airy of unease feeling rather minor her mother beseeching her with a small yet delicate smile she wondered what was amiss with her father had never requested her in all her life she began to shift uncomfortably.

Her mother placing a tender hand on hers of consolation her mum was contributing her assurance of what was to come she could see some of the anguish concealing out in her dear father angular features. She’d never saw her father in such disquiet she speculated what librettos was he to express to her of what report.

From their minor drawing room window she saw they’d been blessed with the warmth of God’s sun within the firmament the light kindled her sentimentalities of what she experienced at the instant she fondled with her hands patiently expecting for her father’s declaration his determinations. She’d never been a rebellious daughter nor did she speak out of turn when her mother and father had entertained fellow farmers as visitants.

Rebecca knew she had a very unadorned countenance her hair was not golden nor her eyes blue as the sky which she so much admired. She’d been born of a russet brown her eyes were remarked as of dark black as oil once from one of her neighbors jested who tormented her so in expressing, if he’d wondered if her heart was as black she thought it very absurd nonetheless this stayed with her.

“I will not be put to work in a Cotton Mill, will I father?” for Rebecca could not bear the stillness any longer she had heard all about the Labor in the Cotton Mills she’d rather not be forced to Labour. She’d heard tales of children working in these factories who were sent to work by their underprivileged relations she learned with these new cotton laws and factories as of recent had stated no children under nine were to be labouring whilst that those of age 9-16 years were limited to twelve hours work per day.

She couldn’t fathom the impression however self-regarding of her she knew she could be of help to her family whilst younger brethren’s John, William, Jacob as well as the last and youngest Henry whom had been named after her father who bear much likeness to their mother Henry she adored the most though she loved all her siblings whilst aided with care in their upbringings. They had very minuscule to consume depending on the harvests .As the offspring of agriculturalists still her father and mother made do with all they had on very little. Some nights their stomachs left unfilled she felt a massive amount of sorrow she’d protest food so her siblings could eat at times needed.

Yet she prayed humbly whilst reverently to God her eternal father that he would deliver her and her family from their conditions day-to-day she at times pondered if he would hear her or answer her entreaties. She inquired according to his will so she’d counted she expected a change any day now she knew God wouldn’t want her and her family to stay in poor circumstances as they were. They’d almost lost her eight year old brother last year to a sweating sickness. She’d been reassured that God would cure her beloved brother of his ailment

Rebecca had been abruptly conveyed out of her deliberations as her father looked at her with a considerate regard. “ We’ve decided, He looked to his wife who nodded. “ To send you post haste to Milcote to live with your Uncle and Aunt whom are both childless furthermore willing to adopt whilst providing proper upbringings in etiquette of the proper upbringings of a Lady”. Said her Father Henry who had been named after the Great Henry VIII.

Rebecca speculated if this was but a Godsend a blessing though she’d never expected her Father and Mother sends her off to Milcotte to be adopted and trained in the proper upbringings of a Lady. Though she wasn’t much detested by the impression she was morose she’d be left behind those she loved her family and her life here with them as well as all she’d known in Crynant she wondered if her Uncle and Aunt would compensate her Mother, Father and siblings.

“Will you be salaried by Aunt and Uncle on Milcote?’ Rebecca expounded to each respectively though she knew this was unfitting to inquire nonetheless it was of her well being in this new life she would have to embrace and her life become evermore altered.

“Yes, we will be remunerated, “You my only Daughter Rebecca will have a better life a chance to meet a suitor “ Rebecca Mother Alice explained giving her daughter a sympathetic gaze. This gaze told all to Rebecca she knew she couldn’t refuse her mother or father’s decision nor requests her mother gaze told her she wished a better life for her only daughter a life which she’d be cared for though yet her parents gaze held sadness in sending her away.

“ I will write you all and visit as much as possible” said she Rebecca not holding the tears back further spilling forth she had been informed her distant wealthy relations would be due to arrive post haste tomorrow.

“We shall have a meal with your mother has cooked a feast for us all “ said her Father as he called the boys from their outdoor play.

 Vote , Comment , Like