Chapter Six : "Hide, Seek, and then Reveal"

It is exactly a week since Matt's birthday. Col. Porter's death turned out to be a murder, and a secret investigation is going on. I'm still relieved from duty, thankfully there's no big happening, no missions, no attacks, and no signs of skitters nearby. We still don't know the date of the planned attack against Charleston that's why things here are finally starting to get intensed.

 I'm not allowed to carry any weapons but I can roam the grounds if I want to. Though, I spent most of the week just here in my room , reading books and trying to do things to distract myself from the bad thoughts that I've been having lately but it's just getting harder each day.  And then there's still the "Deni thing" she's been avoiding me since that day we kissed, I don't know what's going on with her but I'm pretty sure she also felt the strong connection that ran through when it happened. I've been trying to talk to her just to settle things but she always say that she's got some other things to do or someone's calling her. I don't want one stupid kiss to end our friendship , if she only sees me as a friend that's fine with me, I just don't wanna lose her completely.

 "Hey Ben??!!"

 "Who's there?"

 "It's me, Suckerfish"

 "Come In Matt" I said and the came inside, holding his iPad.

 "What do you want?" I asked.

 "Nothing , I just thought that maybe you wanna play some games." He said and then sat beside me on the bed.

 "Fine, what games do you have there?" I asked and then took the iPad from him.

 "Ben?"

 "What?" I asked as I was looking for which game to play.

 "Are you okay now?" he asked.

 "Why'd you ask?"

 "Dad said you've been going through a hard time. That's why you're not in duty"

 "Just forget what Dad said, Matt" I said and then smiled at him. I saw the uncertainty in his eyes, so I just asked him if he wants to lay down with me in the bed for a few minutes but he said he has to accompany Hal & Maggie on a morning patrol.

  "I'll just come back later" he said and then left his iPad to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

 Hal's P.O.V

 For the first time in many weeks, I was able to sleep without having any nightmares. Me and Maggie woke up early because we're assigned to morning patrol. "Looks like someone finally got a good sleep?" she said as we were both dressing up.

 "Yep, finally" I said.

 "See? Karen did nothing to you Hal. It's just nightmares, just plain .. and lame nightmares" she said and then kissed me. "I guess" I said and then we both went out of the room.

  "Coffee?" she asked.

  "Yes. Bacons?"

 "Yes please'' she said and then laughed.

 As we walked past the recovery room, I heard someone called out my name.

 "Hal?" I turned around and saw Jordan standing on the door. "Hey bud" I said and then went to him. "Do you wanna eat breakfast?" Maggie asked him.

 "Yes please, I'm really hungry" he said and then Maggie took his arms. "Where's my sister?" he suddenly asked. Me & Maggie just looked at each other, we knew we can't tell him where his sister is, or what she is now. So I just decided to tell him that we don't know and then we all went to the cafeteria.