Chapter Fourty Four : "Battlecry" (Finale)

Several minutes have passed, Hal was brought to the truck where Dad sat by his side trying to comfort him. The stress of everything that happened the past few days have affected him in ways that even I cannot imagine. He lost his loved one , watched as many other suffer right before his eyes and now, he had to kill the girl that was taken away from him.

 He wanted to blame all of this to Karen but he knows that if it wasn't for the fact that she was taken by the Esphemi, she wouldn't have done all of this. "Ben come on!" Matt called and we all got on to the bus. They just covered Karen's body with newspaper and left it on the alley for the Esphemi to see.

 "Where's Hal?" he asked.

 "He's on the other truck along with Dad and Alexis" I uttered and then he settled on the corner and closed his eyes. I'm extremely proud of him, he's been strong and reliable all through this time. "Missed me?" I looked behind and saw Nick talking to me, "Of course brother" I said and then he hugged me tight.

 "Woah Ben. You completed the process"

 "Yeah" I said and then smiled. "Wait ... where's Jordan?" I asked him as I started looking around, he's still devastated .. even though Karen is "Not Karen" anymore ... she's still his sister. "Jordan .. he's on the other truck. He's been pretty close to Lexi" Nick replied.

 "About her, what happened? The last time I saw her she's still a baby and now she's about 6"

 "It's strange Ben. She grows almost every single day" Nick uttered. What if Lexi is a part of the Esphemi? We're both hybrids but growth changes didn't happened to me. "So where are we going now?" Nick asked.

 "We should be going to Charlotte" I uttered and then looked at the distance. I wonder how Deni's doing, I miss her so much.

=================================================

Tom's P.O.V

 "Do you wanna talk son?" I asked Hal while we're travelling towards Charlotte. "I don't" he replied and walked away. I just sighed, I wish I could do something to help him but no matter what I say, the pain is not getting any easier to accept.

 "Stop!" Dan ordered and so we did. We watched as an Esphemi tower from the distance crashed down. The soldiers were happy, including me. "Looks like the bubbleheads are doing their job after all" Pope uttered and then Dan agreed.

 I still don't know what their real plans are, but I also don't wanna jeopardize the safety of the remaining soldiers. I guess time will reveal everything.

 Several hours have passed and the sun is finally rising up. "Stop!" Dan said once again, "What's it this time?" I asked him and he pointed at the road we're leading on.

 Couple of trucks are heading our way, but it's not just a 'couple of trucks'. These vehicles came from the Charleston camp , one of them is the med bus. "Honk the horn" I said and so he did. We all got down from the trucks and went on the side of the roads to meet them.

=================================================

Anne's P.O.V

 "Tom!" I said in delight and went on to his arms. "Anne, here's Lexi" he said. "Where?" I asked and then he showed me a little girl who hugged me really tight and called me 'Mommy'.

 "But Tom .."

 "I'll explain later" he said. I looked at Alexis and she smiled at me. It's really is her, those eyes .. their the same. I took her into my arms and carried her back to the Medbus.

=================================================

Jeanne's P.O.V

 "What happened? Why are you coming back?" Dad asked Lourdes right after we were able to have some conversations.

  "Right after we got to Charlotte, Esphemi forces started attacking us. We we're able to fight them off but then the civilians decided that it's gonna be best if we make smaller groups."

 I looked around and recognized most of the people, their the same ones who are in the 2nd Mass. "The 2nd Mass is back once again" I said and then Dad smiled.

 "You're right baby bear" he uttered and held my hands.

=================================================

Hal's P.O.V

 I walked away from everyone else, I need air and space to think. I hid behind a tree and sat on the ground. Trying not to blame myself for the death of Maggie ... and now Karen. It has all been my fault.

 I killed Maggie ... I also killed Karen. I should have been the one who's lying on the ground ... dead. The only reason that Karen became our enemy is because they controlled her, if only I held on then maybe she's still be okay.

 Maggie died because of the eyebug that transferred to her. As much as I wanna convince myself that I did the right thing, nothing will change the fact that I'm the one who took her life.

 I closed my eyes right after a tear came out. I can't do this anymore, I brought out my gun and pointed it right at my temple. I can't do this ... I don't wanna live anymore.

============================================== 

 "Hey Ben!" I turned around and saw Harry. "Where's Deni?" I asked him. "She's alright .. she's with Arion and the others. Don't worry Ben, she'll only be delayed for a few days but she's coming back" Harry uttered and I just smiled.

 I don't wanna lash out on him. I miss Deni so much and it sucks that we're apart. "Ben .. I'm here for a mission" he then said.

 "What is it?"

 "To guard Lexi"

 "Why?"

 "Remember what Red Eye said before? There's a human Overlord. Well it turns out, Karen is not an Overlord"

 "And Lexi is?"

 "Maybe" he replied. My heart sunk, if she is the human overlord it would make every single sense as to why she's so strange. "And what if she's the Overlord?" I asked him.

 "Then she needs to die"

 "Does anyone know about this?"

 "No. Just Arion, Deni, You ... and Me" Harry replied. My heart sunk, I hope it's not her. Then suddenly, we heard a gunshot and everyone scrambled to take some cover.

 After we realized it's just a single shot , we all came out of our covers. I looked around and saw Matt and Dad.

 "Where's Hal?" Matt asked.

 "Oh God" I thought to myself.

   *to be continued on the sequel

=====

 Last chapter people ^.^ . Yay! Finished another one. Sorry it ended on a cliffhanger but that's what sequels are for :) What do you think ? Please comment and vote also :)

 Thanks to everyone who read this book .... till the next one :) <3