Past Lovers. 15

Sorry for the long wait! I've been working like a dog, plus I had my family reunion this past weekend and now my boyfriend is here for the week. Lol, I decided to sneak in a quick chapter while he watches suits...

MUCH LOVE. Leave your thoughts

*** 

Hayden's face dropped in a way I had never seen before. It was almost like all the life in her body simply vanished. This was the first time she had seen Jared since their split a few weeks ago, and she was not taking it too well. Of all the places to run into him, it was at her corporate dinner party. 

"Are you okay?" I whispered into her ear.

She nodded and took a deep, long breath. Once she was composed and ready, she marched her way over to him. I wanted to give her some space, so I lingered just far enough behind her to observe. I wanted to be there in case I needed to step in. 

Who knows what this guy was capable of? 

Hayden tapped Jared on his shoulder, and broke him away from whatever conversation he was in the middle of.

"What are you doing here?" She hissed through her pearly teeth, filled with not only rage but plain embarrassment.

"Well, hello to you too, I'm doing well, thank you for asking," Jared sarcastically smirked.

She grimaced. "Do you really think I'm in a joking mood right now, Jared?" She kept her voice low enough but I could tell she was about to lose it.

Hayden was like a ticking bomb.

Tick. Tick. Tick. Boom.

"Easy, tiger," Jared continued to mock. Hayden narrowed her eyes at him. 

"You're a sick fuck, you know that right?" She spat. A few people turned their heads to see where the horrid words they heard had come from.

"Alright, alright, follow me." Jared started to lead the way to a bedroom, where they could talk in private.

But Hayden shot me a nervous glance. She obviously liked having me around, knowing that I was close by watching over her. That meant the absolute world to me. But now was not the time to celebrate and gloat in our moving relationship progress.

Hayden led him into a secluded corner of the room, where I could still keep my eye on them. 

"So are you going to tell me why you're here, or is this going to continue to be a Comedy Central Special?"

Jared sighed, and shook his head as if the question she was asking was so preposterous. 

"If you must know, I was invited...just like everyone else here tonight," he answered, in a seemingly rational tone.

Hayden scoffed. "I don't care if you were invited. Don't you think its rather fucked up that you came to my corporate party?"

"They're my friends too," he reasons.

"No, they're not...not anymore."

Jared scratched his scruffy chin. "Well as it appears, you only care about one of your friends," Jared shot eye-daggers at me. I didn't even know he noticed me, let alone knew what I looked like. "Let's be real here, Hayden...how many of your 'friends' know about us?" 

I hate to admit it, but Jared had a point. I didn't agree with Hayden's lack of honesty tonight. 

I learned the hard way, after three long, lonesome years, that honesty and loyalty were always the best policy. No matter what.

"You're a sick bastard," she snarled.

"And you are a ruthless bitch," he spat right back in her face. 

A part of me wanted to grab him by the collar and pummel him to the floor for saying that. But I resisted. The last thing I wanted to do was cause a scene in front of all of her co-workers.

"I wish I never met you," she said, with tears glistening in her eyes. My instincts told me she was almost at her breaking point. 

I saw her bottom lip tremble, and that's when I knew I had to step in. There was no way I was going to let her cry in front of all her collages. I didn't have a masters in business administrations like she did but even I knew that one should never cry at work. 

"I think that's enough," I stepped in.

Jared chuckled. "Well if it isn't the low-life, alcoholic ex husband. Trying to better yourself and be less of a scumbag?"

"Cut the act, Jared. You've already done enough damage tonight, don't you think? If you're gonna insist on staying, then at least let her be. She doesn't deserved any of the shit you've done to her."

Jared chuckled again, as if this was some humorous situation. "Don't act like you're so much better. If I recall, you were in the same spot as me, three years ago."

As soon as the words left his lips, I saw a tinkle of tears fall down Hayden's face, as she was cruely reminded of the trespasses made against her.

"We all make mistakes, it's how we try to right the wrongs that matters in the end," I murmured to him, as I slipped my arm around Hayden. "Come on Hayden, let's get out of here."

She had no problem agreeing, as she kept her head down and I lead her out the front door. The moment we closed the apartment door, she burst into full on tears. 

I tried to soothe her in every way possible. But my words went to waste. That night, she asked me to sleep in the bed rather than the couch, and to hold her until she cried herself to sleep.

My heart broke to see her in such dispair. But warmed slightly to know that she wanted me there again, right beside her in, holding her tight throughout the whole night.

***