Chapter Four

The thought bugs me a lot. He didn't even acknowledge that she was there. Hmm. I wonder why. Eh, I guess it's no big deal. Besides, Ali didn't seem to mind. She just sat there the whole
time, listening. The day drags by. I convinced Ali to go to the tennis court with me. When we got back, we relaxed and talked until it was time for dinner. At dinner, Dylan sat in front of me again. We didn't talk at all and it was awkward to eat in silence.

I wanted to talk to Ali, but the fact that he was sitting in front of us and could easily hear our conversation made me uneasy so I just didn't say anything. When I finished eating I picked up my plate and put it in the trash. I passed by our table to go back to my room but Dylan grabbed me and stopped me. "Wait," he says in a worried voice, "let me walk you back to your room." I smile at him and he loosens his grip on my arm. I look over at Ali to make sure it's okay and she nods her head yes. I silently thank her and then turn my attention back to Dylan. "Are you sure? Isn't your room in the other direction from mine?" I ask him. Now it's his turn to smile at me. "Yeah, but it's fine. Really."

We head off to my room, walking side by side. I glance over at my new friend to find him staring intensely at me. I quickly look away and stare straight ahead for the rest of the walk. When we make it my room, I stop in front of my door. "Well, this is me." I tell him, looking down and nervously digging the tip of my white flats into the ground. He brings his fingers up under my chin.

His touch takes me by surprise and makes my body tingle. He smiles at me and it gives me chills. Stop, I tell myself, You've only known him for a day so stop, stop, stop, stop. But as I look into his chocolate brown eyes, my knees wobble. He slowly begins leaning in and I do too but as I realize what's happening, I quickly turn my body and hug him tightly.

This gesture takes him by surprise but he still hugs me back. He strokes my dark brown hair for a few minutes and then puts his arms around my back. I put one hand on his back and one on his neck so I could twirl a strand of his short brown hair. After a few minutes, I break away. "You should probably be getting to your room and I should probably be going inside mine," I say quietly. He agrees and gives me another quick hug before turning around and heading back to his room.

I walk inside my room and fall back on my bed, breathless. I look over at Ali to see her peircing green eyes staring at me. She has her night light on and it shines through her blond hair. "Had a nice walk?" She asks. "You wouldn't believe it." I tell her.