Chapter Nineteen

I sit up in bed and listen to the patterned knocks. They were the same ones that Dr. Mason used to wake me up in the morning. "You really think a lamp could kill me?" he asks through the wooden door. I say nothing and he laughs wildly. "Let me in, Joy." he says, rattling the doorknob. It's a wooden door and he could easily knock it down but if he comes in then I could wake them up beforehand and we could easily outnumber him, I think to myself. "Joooooyyy," he says taunting me. The beating on the door gets louder and more violent. I go over to Dylan and try to wake him but he won't budge. I do the same with Fel and Robbie but I get the same results. The beating on the door is unbearable and when he finally knocks it down, I dart into the closet.

I look through the slots in the closet as Dr. Mason enters the room. I can barely breath as he slams open the bathroom door, looking for me. He crouches down to check under the beds and he removes the covers off of the beds to make sure I'm not hiding under the covers with any of them. When he's done with his check of the room, he stands at the foot of the beds.

"Well, well, well. I guess you've outsmarted me Joy. Unless, of course, you're in the closet," he says, spinning around to stare at closet. I back up behind the clothes and sit down. I hear the floor creak as he gets closer and closer to the closet. He opens the door and steps inside. I try not to make a sound as he puts his foot closer towards mine. He pushes back the clothes and sees my sitting on the floor. "I found you," he says before I black out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I jump out of bed and curl myself into a ball, crying. Dylan wakes up and so do Fel and Robbie. They rush over and comfort me as I scream about how Dr. Mason's coming for me. He's alive. I know it. I can feel it. "Calm down Joy! It's just a dream!" Fel says. That wasn't a dream. That was a nightmare.

Dylan lays me back down on the bed and I stay up for a few more hours before I fall back into sleep. When I wake up, Fel is brushing her hair and the boys are nowhere to be found. I stretch out and yawn. "Where are the guys?" I ask her. "Downstairs, grabbing breakfast." She says calmly. "Sorry about waking you last night," I say awkwardly. "It's fine. You can't control your dreams." She says. I get out of bed and brush my hair.

Robbie opens the door with his room key and comes in holding bathing suits. "Anyone wanna go for a swim?" Robbie says, throwing a white bathing suit with purple stripes at Fel. "Matches your hair." he says, smiling. Fel swats him on the shoulder and Dylan comes through the door with my bathing suit. He throws it to me and I catch it easily. "So we spent money on unnecessary bathing suits?" I ask. "Well we just thought that you girls might miss wearing actual bathing suits instead of clothes." Dylan says. I look at down at my white bathing suit with red polka dots and I notice it's a two piece.

"Yeah," I say, turning the bathing suit over in my hand, "or you just wanted to see us in bathing suits." I joke. Dylan and Robbie laugh and I go to the bathroom to get changed. When we all finish getting dressed, Dylan claps his hands. "Who's ready to go to the pool?" Dylan says.