Chapter Sixteen

Thelma enters the room backwards, pulling a cleaning cart. When she turns around her eyes grow wide and she pulls headphones from her ears. "What are you guys doing in here? Everyone is looking for you!" She says in a raspy voice. "Thelma please. I really need you to keep this quiet. We really need to escape here. I promise that we won't be stirring up trouble." I hope that my explanation is good. Thelma stares at me skeptically. "Please," I beg her, "Don't you trust me?" I ask her. Her eyes lighten. "Go quietly. There's no guards outside. All of them are in the woods or town, looking for you guys. If you hurry then you can get by unnoticed." I hug her tightly. "Thank you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We slip outside, unnoticed. We run to the tennis court and scale the fence. I'm halfway up when I hear shouts. "Hey hurry up!! I can see them over here!!!" Yells Carson, the guard. I climb faster. I'm the only one left. Everyone is on the other side, pressuring me. "Hurry up, Joy!!" They all shout. I can hear the guards running toward me now. I push myself over the fence and drop down, my feet landing on the ground.

We dart into the driveway of the hospital. I can taste freedom. It's so close now. Town is only a few miles away but it's dark out. We'll have to sleep in the woods tonight.

A/N: Sorry this chapter was so short!! Just had a little bit of free time and decided to give a sneak peek😏