Chapter Twenty

We slid down the banister on the stairs and went to the pool. Dylan and Robbie were challenging each other by seeing how many flips they could do in mid-air as they plunged into the deep-end. Fel and I floated on our backs for a while before we put on the goggles and watched the boys underwater as they dove into the pool. Robbie was winning the flip contest by having three flips in mid-air while Dylan couldn't get past one.

I decided to have some fun and I jumped off of the board and into the water. When I came up, Dylan threw a life ring at me and shouted, "Woman overboard!". We were all having fun for the first time in a long time. Finally, we had to get serious. "So where are we gonna stay when we leave here?" I ask Dylan. Everyone sits in silence until Fel has a "lightbulb" moment. "We can stay at my old houses! We used to have two houses on the same property and we still own them! Mom and Dad say that we're never gonna sell them because we have two many memories there. We never visited them though. And there's a town close by there! We could get jobs and live the life by ourselves!" Fel says.

"Wouldn't people notice us?" I ask her. "No because the houses are in another state." She says. "How exactly are we supposed to get to another state?" I ask her. "We could hitch hike!" Fel says. "Great. What's better than being in a car with a bunch of possible creeps?!" Dylan chimes in. That's when I have a lightbulb moment. "Thelma once told me that she's here for me when I need her. What if we take her car?" I say.

"And risk getting caught by the police and guards?! Are you nuts?" Fel says. "Maybe," I smile, "I was in a mental hospital after all." I say. Fel puts her hands on her hips. "That doesn't mean your crazy. I mean look at me! Do I look crazy to you?" She says. I laugh out, "I don't think you want me to answer that." She swats me on the arm and laughs. Dylan, who's been listening intently the whole time, finally decides to give his input. "You're right, Fel, it's crazy," he says, "But it just might work."