Part 9

By the time I return to camp there's no sign of Finn but he's left a small meal of cooked oats warming by the fire.

Grateful I don't bother questioning what it means to take the small gift he's left behind but dig in enjoying the warmth it brings to my rapidly cooling body.

By the time I finish my eyes are drooping and the moon has risen to cast deep shadows outside the circle of light from our campfire.

I need to check before I go to sleep.

I need to make sure that it's only Finn and I out in the woods.

But laying down to concentrate my body and brain switch off and then it's too late. I sleep the exhausted sleep of a tormented soul.

Waking I immediately realize something is wrong.

I'm alone.

I shouldn't be alone.

Looking across to Finn's swag in the light of the new dawn my eyes confirm what my other senses are already telling me. I'm alone, and I have been for a while, all night even.

Knowing Finn would never have abandoned me like that I pinpoint Hank and mind-link.

Finn's missing, has Freddie heard from him?

There's a few seconds delay before the answer I'm dreading.

No

Another pause.

He's tried but hasn't had any success. We'll come to you.

Grateful I only removed my boots and jacket from the night before I'm tying my laces as I continue mind-linking, trying not to let panic over-ride my every thought.

Using my phone to pinpoint my location I rattle off the coordinates.

How long will it take you to reach me?

This pause is longer than the rest and I cringe when I hear Hank's response.

At least three hours running.

It's too long. We both know it. I'll have to track Finn myself and deal with whatever situation he's in alone without the back up of the other's. I try to think of the possible scenario's he's in that could keep him from me, that don't in result in my death while trying to recue him. There isn't many.

Looking around the camp it takes seconds to decide to abandon everything there and hope that we find everything in the same condition when we return, if we return.

The fires already out so sticking my phone in my coat pocket I sniff the air quickly locating Finns scent before taking off.

I desperately want to use my other ability to help but I'm scared that it will cost me too much energy and too much time, both of which I need.

I estimate it's been 45 minutes before I hear the murmuring of voices up ahead. I'd slowed down to stalk 10 minutes earlier when I smelt others in the area, and now I hear the corresponding voices to those scents up ahead.

Getting out my phone I once again read the coordinates of my location and mind-link them though to Hank. We both know not to disturb each other now as we both concentrate on the task at hand. Hank's in reaching me with Freddie in tow as soon as possible, and me in working out a way to rescue Finn, whose deep gravely voice I can make out as I come closer to what seems to be a makeshift campsite, similar to our own.

As I get closer, eyes darting in every direction to make sure I'm not somehow being lured into a trap, I decide that it's too risky to go in without checking what I'm facing. So with another glance around myself I squat down and close my eyes. Grateful the run was not further so I can afford to spend the energy probing the area.

What I see is comforting and alarming in equal measures.

There are only three of them surrounding a very still alive Finn. There's not a trace of another essence for miles. And from the smell pushed my way by a lazy breeze, two of the men, apart from Finn, are bleeding and one severely so.

What makes me disheartened is that they're rogues and they're all males.

Rogues won't hold back when being attacked, they enjoy the pain of others, especially those that belong in packs.

I don't want to be distracted with thoughts about what Finn has had to endure through the night. I've come across many scenes like this before, and torture is one pleasure Rogues will never forsake for another. But I can't help it knowing that time is running out before they end it purposely or accidently. And knowing he's injured means I'll be taking on at least two rogues on my own, even if I can work out a way to free Finn before they realize they are under attack.

I could take a full sized male rogue alone, two females or two young males without a second thought, but as much as I train, rogues deal in death everyday, often alone. And full-grown males are incredibly hard to take down, especially outnumbered. But what choice do I have.

It's Finn for goodness sake. I can't think rationally right now, I just want to get him away from these monsters.

Taking a breath I attempt to calm my heart, which is beating a mile a minute. Adrenalin is pumping into my veins in anticipation as I make my way forward.

I almost want to smirk as I get close enough to have the three rogues in sight, and Finn who is tied up against a tree. He stands there as a knife carves a thin ribbon down his naked chest. Eyes having found mine almost immediately, he frowns and shakes his head indicating his displeasure at me moving forward in his small way. What an arrogant asshole, to think he can be angry with me for coming to his rescue. I can almost hear his thoughts inside my head telling me to turn around and wait for the others.

Yeh right. Not after seeing what I've seen.

Naked, he's too vulnerable, and while I've never seen a male rogue cut off another males privates before, there's always a first time for everything. And even though it's something I may have envisioned doing myself over the past year, realistically that specimen is too fine to destroy.

I can see the beating he's already endured, the knife only indicating the next phase of torture before limbs start coming off.

I've seen it all before in victims we were too late to recover.

I can't let that happen to Finn, even if he's angry with me about it, even if it puts my own life at risk.

Slipping three knifes, two in one hand and one in the other I hope the rogues are too distracted by Finn grunts of pain to notice me.

When Finn starts yelling I know he knows it's time and I'm not waiting.

In an attempt to distract them further he starts struggling with the bonds confining him and that's when I attack.