Part 14

I'm starting to feel like I've been stuck outside in the cold snowy forest my whole life. I can't even remember what it feels like to be inside anymore but it's something I crave.

Finn hoisted me into a tree and then followed me up so we could see further into the camp, but so far we've had no sighting of Jennifer and Isaac though their scent is heavy here. I wanted to scout around the tree line that surrounds the clearing to make sure they hadn't left already but Finn shut down that suggestion telling me to wait until the others joined us.

It's roughly been two hours but it feels like twelve.

Now that Finn and I have had it out there seems to be an awkward tension between us. Neither of us knows quiet what to say. I've asked him to give me space and now is not really the time to have a deep and meaningful, but it feels so weird discussing anything neutral like the weather or our current situation. But we can't seem to help ourselves, and now having once again commented on the odd behaviour of the pack in front of us I really start to look. Because before it was a passing comment, but now... What the hell are they doing?

Even though my eyesight far surpasses a human I'm still not confident in the scene it presents.

I almost jump from the tree when the screaming starts but Finn has a tight hold on my arm from where he sits next to me.

It's a natural reaction I believe, to help a wolf in need, even if it is a rogue. Because what's happening in front of me is not right, not right for any wolf. Especially one that looks as tortured as this one.

My eyes can't tear themselves away as the hot knife glides down the left rib cage and the stench of burning flesh fills the air.

The females red eyes are wide and beseeching, seeming almost human in the way they reach out for help even through the madness. I can't tear my own eyes away. I've never seen a rogue tortured before. It's not what we do. We kill them and move on. Torture is not natures way, we may chase and play but this. This deliberate drawn out inflection of pain through the use of fire... What are they doing?

Torture is a rogues game, that's what they feed on, not us. Never us.

The screaming continues and it's all I can do to hold back the contents of my stomach. I look away but the image is burned into my brain and when the screaming stops and the choking gurgling sound begins I know they struck that knife deep enough to puncture the lungs and do irreparable damage.

We need to find Jennifer and Isaac and we need to do it soon.

The situation just got a lot more serious.