21

"Oh you know me, my name is Courtney." She said. Her tone of voice was so sweet it was sickening. Kurt got up as she started speaking. He recognized her voice.
"What?" He asked coldly.
"I was wondering if you'd keep the baby while I'm in rehab." She said. Kurt nodded.
"Any legal issues with this?" I interrupted.
"Shut the fuck up." Kurt said just as coldly to me. I got up and grabbed my cigarettes and went outside. A car pulled into the parking lot and I saw River. He smiled when he saw me. He walked up and sat beside me. I laid my head on his shoulder and took another drag from my cigarette. River pulled out his own and started smoking.
"Everything alright?" He asked. I nodded.
"Can we go somewhere else?" I asked him.
"Sure." He said understandingly. We got into his car and drove to his apartment. He opened the door and I dropped onto the couch.
"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asked sitting beside me. Looking at a magazine, but every so often throwing a worried glance at me.
"Kurt was being a dick." I said.
"How so?" He asked.
"His ex wife came by and asked if he could keep their kid while she's in rehab." I said.
"That's wonderful. It seems like he loves their kid but doesn't get any time to bond with her." He said. I nodded.
"Can I stay here?" I asked.
"You need to pick anything up from your place?" He asked.
"No I'll be fine." I said.
"How was he a dick?" River asked.
"He didn't want me to ruin his chances, so when I brought up the legal aspects he flipped and told me to 'shut the fuck up'." I sighed.
"He probably doesn't know anything about babies." River said.
"Exactly. He needs me if Courtney isn't going to around. He is capable of being a good father on his own, he just doesn't know."  I leaned against the couch arm. River nodded.
"Are you sure you want to stay here? I mean, you're totally welcome to. It would be awesome to have one of those teenage girl sleepovers where we braid eachother's hair, but you leaving your home because there is going to be a baby or an ex wife there is funny." He said. I smiled.
"Do you want to have a teenage girl sleepover at my house? I can do your makeup and you can be a pretty girl." I said. He smiled.
"Yeah, that sounds fun. "

"We can go back once Courtney is gone. You should pack some clothes or something. " I said. He went back into his bedroom.
"Hey Rio!" I yelled for him.
"What?" He said returning into the living room.
"Do you have a copy of Beetlejuice?" I asked.
"Check the shelf. " he said going back to wherever he was. I got up and scanned the shelf he had filled with VHS tapes. I pulled out a copy of Beetlejuice and sat it on the coffee table. He trudged back in with a backpack.
"I can't find the necklace I'm looking for." He frowned. He sat the bag on the floor and went into the kitchen.
"Do you want anything?" He asked.
"Water?" I asked. He came back in with a can of soda and handed me a bottle of water.
"Thanks." I said opening it and taking a drink.
"Shit I need to call Krist. These guys in a band that Krist took under his wing should be in LA soon. I got up and went into the kitchen.  I dialed our number.
"Hello?" Courtney said.
"Hey it's Ruby. Can you tell Krist the guys from Green Day will be there in like an hour." I said.
"Okay." She said as if she didn't care.
"Who was it?" I heard Kurt ask.
"Oh, nobody." Courtney said, hanging up.

I walked back into River's living room to find him covered in soda in the midst of taking off his shirt.
"It attacked me." He said with a smile. I rolled my eyes. He came back from his bedroom with a clean shirt.
"Is Courtney still there?" He asked.
"Yeah but I could care less. You'll have my back, right?" I asked.
"Obviously." He said putting on his shoes and grabbing a jacket.
"Do you have anything else?" He motioned to my bare arms.
"River we live in Los Angeles. It's cold to you because you grew up in warm climates, I'm from Chico and it's warm." I said with an eye roll. River grabbed his bag and key and ushered me out the door.