87

"Kurt?" I asked him quietly in the dark.
"Yeah." He answered.
"Can we talk, like serious talk?" I asked him. He nodded slightly, his face sleepy in the slivers of moonlight between the blinds.
"I want to move out." I said quietly.
"You mean you don't like the house?" He asked.
"I'm sure we could find a less...creepy place." He smiled.
"I do agree, it is kind of creepy." He rambled. He didn't get it.
"No... I want to move out, not with you. I want to get a divorce." I clarified.
"Why?" He asked, his voice cracking. He began to cry.

And while I felt pity for him, and while I thought I loved him.

I did not come to his rescue.

I did not dry his tears.
"We're toxic." I sighed. He got out of bed, he turned on the lamp beside it. He got dressed.
"Where are you going?" I asked him quietly.

He didn't acknowledge my question.
"Kurt it's cold. You're not going out in the middle of the night." I said.
"You're not my mother, don't tell me what to do." He spat back, he was angry.
"At least put on a coat." I ordered as he raced me down the stairs.

I didn't realize that River was asleep. River was sleeping steps away on our couch.

was, that is. When Kurt slammed the door behind him, going somewhere I didn't know, at one in the morning in the freezing cold. He sat up, pulling the light cord, filling the room with light. He looked confused, he propped himself up with one elbow and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. I collapsed down where I was standing at the top of the stairs. Rio sleepily ran his fingers through his hair as he got up from the couch. He climbed the stairs and sat beside me.
"What's wrong?" He asked.
"I'm sad." I said, I sunk into the floor, face pressing against the carpet.
"Ruby..." He sighed, his face dropping in a sad expression to match mine. He grabbed my arm and pulled me up. I dropped onto the couch, River sitting nearly under me, he reached over me for the tv remote. He flicked through channels and rested his head on my shoulder, a sturdy arm held against my stomach.
"It'll be okay, I don't know what happened but it will be okay." He assured me.