Chapter 2

It wasn't even near sunrise when I felt Daryl get up. His movements were slow and cautious as he tried not to wake me. Although, I wasn't asleep.

I once again, had an insomniac night. They were common nowadays. My shoulders were so heavy with all this stress, which caused my lack of sleep. Either I would stay awake, nights and days at a time, or when I fall into what I think is a peaceful sleep, I wake hours later. Not able to sleep again.

I knew Daryl was able to tell I was wake, so I made my breathing deep. As Daryl got out of the bed, I heard the floors underneath him creek in protest. He was facing me now, and I could feel his stares. He let a deep breath out and I felt his calloused fingertips brush my arm as he pulled the blanket up higher.

I heard the door to the room open and close. I waited a few minutes, ensuring that he was gone before I opened my eyes. This was a regular routine.

I stayed 'asleep' longer than anyone else. People thought it was because I was tired and I deserved it. In reality, the truth? It was because I knew that we didn't have a lot of food, and the longer I 'slept' the less food there was for me. I was fine with it. Often times, I didn't even eat, but I split the food between Judith, and Carl. They needed it more than me.

I stained my ears as I heard doors beginning to open and close. I listened to see who was awake. Once I was sure everyone was awake, I put on some clothes and made my way to the en suite. I found some paper under the sink, and took it with me.

I did my business, and wiped my area, noticing red on the paper. I rolled my eyes. You've got to be kidding me... I told myself.

I placed paper on my underwear and pulled it up my legs. I sighed to myself as I took a cup of filled it with some bottled water, and dumping it down the lining of the toilet. I put the rest of my clothes on my body before slowly making my way down the stairs.

I reached the living room, where everyone was gathered with a bowl in their hands. I grabbed the backpack that Michonne and Maggie put the female items in.

"Is everythin' okay?" Daryl asked, suddenly behind me. I nodded my head, feeling the tampons at the bottom. I pulled one out and showed it to him.

"I thought ye hated those." He said with an eyebrow raised.

"I do, but I can't find the pads." I sighed. Daryl took the bag from my hands and set it on the table beside us. He shoved his hand inside, and began to look. He retracted his hand a few seconds later and was holding a pad. He handed it to me. I searched the bag of our clothes and took out a new pair of underwear. I nodded my head in thanks and went to the bathroom.

After placing the pad on my underwear, I looked into the mirror. My white blond hair, was still the same as it use to be, only now, it was in knots. I ran my hand through my hair and winced as I tugged on a knot. Taking my black hair tie, I tied my hair up into a high ponytail and continued to stare at my reflection. My eyes held black bags underneath them, only to add to my complexion. My facial expression held exhaustion and stress. I opened the small window in the bathroom, and threw my old underwear out. I sighed to myself as I shut the window and walked out of the bathroom.

I took a look around the group. They were tired, and they knew I knew, but every time I asked if they needed a rest, they would always say that they were okay. I sort through the thoughts that are in my head and decide my decision. As I stand there, everyone begins to advert their eyes at me. I take a breath before I begin.

"Today, we are going to rest. Not the safest thing, but it is the best. You are all tired, and despite the fact you won't admit it to me, I know you are. Everyone, rest. We are going to pick up again tomorrow." I said. Dad lifted his head to look at me.