Chapter 10

Chase slept between Daryl and I last night. Surprisingly, he barely moves. We got up pretty early today, and when I asked Daryl to wake Chase up, while I got some of his clothes, it didn't work that way at all.

When I walked down the stairs, a school bag that I believe belonged to Chase full of toys, and some books, and a duffel bag I found in his parents room, full of some clothes for him, Daryl and I, in hand. Only, when I said good morning, everyone but Judith and Chase were awake.

I asked Daryl to wake him so we could bring him to the car, and he could sleep in there, but it didn't happen at all. Chase was laying, in Daryl's arms, fast asleep. I rose my eyebrow at Daryl as he came to place a soft kiss on my lips.

"He didn't want to wake up, makin' a fuss and everythin'." Daryl said, only I knew he was lying. I was in the next room, I would've heard them with the thin walls.

"What really happened?" I asked him, arms crossed, eyebrow risen. Daryl dropped his head as he mumbled his answer.

"I didn't want to wake him."

I nodded my head and placed a kiss to his cheek. I ran my hand through Chase's hair and went to get the rest of our things. I met everyone outside, and we piled into the vehicles.

"Where's Chase going?" Merle asked. The Ford only holds three people and whatever fits in the bed, yet I didn't want to play him elsewhere.

"How about I ride in the car with Dad, and you two ride alone?" I reasoned.

"The hell with that." Daryl exclaimed.

"He's right. I'll take the bed, with our things, ye can have the front with Daryl." Merle said. I was about to protest but they were already leaving. I placed the bags in the bed, handing some to Merle when I had difficulty lifting some.

I went around to the passenger side of the Ford and Merle leaned over, opening the door for me. I rose an eyebrow at him, having him only shrug. I said my thank you and hopped into the car, Merle shutting the door after me.

I opened the drivers side door, so Daryl handed me Chase and got in himself. Chase was placed in the middle of Daryl and I and his head leaned on my thigh as he kicked his feet up onto Daryl's lap. I smiled a little to myself then the window tapped.

Jumping slightly to the unexpected move, I turned my head to see Merle holding a blanket. I rolled the window down and took the blanket, thanking his softly. I placed the blanket on Chase, as Daryl started the truck.

Daryl opened the back window a little, only to hear Merle better if something was wrong. We drove at a somewhat fast speed. We made it out of Atlanta and we're just about to pass the sign into King's County.

Only, we never made it that far. With the tapping of the back window, and Merle's slight panic, Daryl hit the brakes. It sent me into the dashboard with Daryl's hand up against my stomach. His arm was in front of Chase protectively as his eyes were wide.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't--"

"It's okay, we are all okay." I said. I knocked on the window of the back to get Merle's attention. Only, he wasn't there. The tap of the window behind me sent a fear in my chest and I screamed as I took hold of my gun and pointed at the window. Only, I put it down because I didn't see a threat, but Merle with his actual hand and makeshift hand in the air.

"Sorry Sugar. I didn't mean to scared ya."

"It's fine." I said softly. My head was pounding and my chest hurt.  Confused to why we stopped I looked behind me to see that the Toyota was smoking through the hood.