Chapter 4

I hate to call myself a heart breaker, but what better words were there for this? In the following days after the so called breakup from whatever was between Clyde and I, Clyde was definitely a different man. However, it wasn't in the good sense. His cold eyes beat into me from every direction throughout the day, but I could not tell for the life of me if he was angry, or sad. Or was he indifferent. Why couldn't I tell? Normally I am excellent at reading others, but Clyde was utterly readless.

On one particular day, Clyde sent me out to check on his letter I had given to Fletcher. I made my way to the village taverns, and found him easily once again. After my long week, I spent what little allowance I made on a small amount of whiskey. It was a rare occasion that I'd drink, but after the pain I felt on that night, I needed it.

I began a simple conversation with Fletcher after confirming the safety of arrival on Clyde's precious letter.

"What was the letter even for?" Fletcher slurred.

I figured since he was actually drunk this time it wouldn't matter much what I told him, so I answered.

"It was a letter to one of the princesses he had thought about the longest. His father forced him to write it, and was furious when he thought that perhaps Clyde had 'misplaced' it while trying to send it."

Fletcher nodded.

"I can see why the king'd be so mad, he really wants his son to marry soon," he took a swig from his bottle. "I'm surprised that he still hasn't, y'know? I mean, what is he waiting for?"

"Right?" another drunken man said as he came over and joined the conversation unwelcomed. "I mean, if I were him I'd have multiple wives. They're all beautiful from what I remember from past years."

"Yeah," Fletcher agreed. "There are some with pretty great personalities too, so he obviously wasn't waiting for that or anything."

"Maybe he just doesn't like women?" the other drunk man said as he laughed hard before nearly choking on a cough. "I'm joking," he clarified.

"Yeah," I began. "He definitely likes women! It's the king that's causing so much trouble. 'Just one' he says! The poor prince can't possibly choose from all the options!" I covered.

The drunken men continued to laugh as I quickly finished off my whiskey. I sat awhile longer until the burning sensation in my throat and on down dispersed, and then excused myself. I felt a little tipsy but controlled myself. At least now my thoughts were a little deadened. I was tired of thinking about Clyde and I. It was time I focused on my mission.

As I arrived back, Clyde looked as though he were waiting for me. I closed the castle doors behind me and stepped in, awaiting my order.

"What took you so long?" he said with the coldest voice I think I've ever heard him spoken with.

"I'm sorry, your highness. Fletcher was drunk, so it took a little more time to get the truth out of him. Your letter was sent, and arrived unharmed, however."

"Very well," Clyde said. "I have something very important for you. Come." he motioned for me to follow.

I did so to his room but was gestured to wait outside once we arrived. When he came back out, he shoved a small piece of paper into my hand.

"You are dismissed for the day," he said blankly as he gave me a meaningful stare.

I nodded simply, and took the folded paper down to the basement with me. There I unfolded it and tried to read, but the words were large, and I couldn't decipher the code. It was English, there was no doubting that, but I couldn't just ask anyone to read it to me for fear that Clyde signed it and had something revealing contained in his words.