Chapter 11

I did most of the packing that day for Clyde as he spoke with his mother about the proper ways of treating his soon to be wife. I carefully folded all of his necessary clothes and neatly placed them into his bags. Once they were filled, I loaded them into the carriage which was to carry us to the outskirts of our land, and to another.

I returned to Clyde's room to verify that I had everything. When I turned to leave, pleased with the work I had accomplished, Clyde was standing in the doorway. He closed the door behind him, trapping us together. We stared for quite some time before both walking towards one another and hugging.

"I understand," I started, my eyes closed as to keep tears from escaping, "this is it."

"No," Clyde said. "It is not it. This is just the beginning. I have decided that we will find ways, no matter how hard."

"You promise?" I hated myself for saying it, considering I had planned to keep Clyde from having an affair, but the pain in my nearly broken heart and the constant thoughts that kept me awake late into the night is what made me do so.

"Cross my heart, my love," Clyde soothed.

I pulled away from him and then allowed him to kiss me.

"We must go if we are to make it to the outskirts before dusk."

Clyde nodded, and we both headed out to the carriage. As we got in, the knights stood very straight. For the prince, of course, not me; but I could believe they were doing so for me as well if I wished. Before we headed off, Clyde blew his mother kisses. She caught them and held them close to her heart. Clyde's father was nowhere to be seen, surprisingly; and although I didn't mind, Clyde seemed to be fairly bothered by this. Nonetheless, our trip began.

This was quite exciting for me since I had never been outside the castle's village before. First, we exited the colossal gates to the entrance of the castle grounds, and into the village plaza. We passed many people who stood far out of the way in respect for the royalty. We eventually reached the doors leading out to the fields. We passed the knights on guard, and then the horses who were pulling us began to pick up the pace.

It was much more tame and boring than I had anticipated; however, Clyde seemed quite amused. We both watched as we saw tall grass which spewed aimlessly out of the ground. It had a dull tannish color that almost blended with everything else. Occasionally there was a tree or two, also dull. Few animals were to be seen, except for the random groups of birds.

In the distance, there were mountains that jolted straight up into the sky. They looked very small from where we were, but I knew of them to be quite large. I could imagine all day climbing up those very mountains. Perhaps I could reach the heavens and touch the hands of my parents. Then they could see how their son has grown in such splendid ways, or at least I hoped that is what they would think of me. This was probably implausible; however, for I could imagine not getting very high in the mountain; but at least it kept my mind busy.

After a few hours worth of traveling, I noticed that Clyde had dozed off. His stiff neck looked quite uncomfortable, so I pulled out his pillow from under the other bags. I carefully placed it between his head and the carriage. I didn't think I'd be very useful on this trip, but I have been proven wrong. Perhaps Clyde was right to have argued to have me come along. Although I am pretty sure it was more for the familiar company that anything else.

Soon enough I found myself dozing into sleep. I allowed myself since there wasn't much else to do. When I awoke, I saw as Clyde quickly looked away. It seemed to me that he had been watching. I hoped I wasn't drooling, or doing anything else embarrassing in my slumber. I looked out of the carriage and examined the area. It looked the same as it had before.

Another couple of hours passed, and I never thought that I'd miss cleaning, but I did. If only there was a mess to clean now. At least I wouldn't be bored. I breathed in heavily and sighed. Clyde must have felt my pain because he evoked the same annoyed and bored sound as I.

"Hey, knights?" Clyde shouted out to the armoured men. "How much longer until we are there?"

"About fifteen more hours or so would be my guess, sir," one answered.

Clyde flung his body backwards irritatedly until it hit the back of his seat. He blew a few strands out from in front of his face and sat with his arms crossed.

"This is ridiculous," he stated. "If it wasn't for her stupid desires, I'd just be waiting at home for her instead of traveling far out of my way."

"But think sir," I began. "This shows the beginning stages of the love to grow between the two of you. You go out of your way for her, and she will appreciate you."

"She had better."

We left the conversation at that. Our trip to the outskirts came and passed, and now we headed forth to the Evergreen Lands. I hoped that its name held great meaning, for Clyde and I both expelled loud groans, murmurs, exhales, and more obnoxious noises during our long journey. It almost became a competition between us.

We kept ourselves as busy as we could by playing children's games and dozing off for a few hours at at time. It was nearly unbearable how utterly exhausting just sitting in one place could be. I felt that my legs needed to stretch, but I didn't want to postpone our arrival, so I kept quiet. Eventually, the guards called back to let us know that we had finally entered the Evergreen province's outskirts and that we would be arriving within a few more hours.

Clyde and I both must have been hoping for the same things in the Evergreen Lands, for the two of us stuck our heads out of the carriage to look around. We were both instantaneously disappointed by what we saw. The fields in which we were located was hidden under a thick shield of black clouds, blocking out any light to see. It was extremely windy, and we both felt as the entire atmospheric weather changed around us.

On the other hand, had it been sunny, we would most likely see luscious green acres of grass as it dispersed and expanded across the gorgeous area. I had no clue on the time, for now, it was as dark as night, though it was daytime a few moments ago. No animals were chirping, so I couldn't use that as a clue. I knew; however, that we were getting close to the kingdom.

When we finally arrived at the Evergreen Kingdom, I was blown away. The sheer stature of the principality was stunning. Even in the dark, you could tell exactly why it was called the Evergreens: it was covered in a well-kept mossy plant, decorated by exquisitely vibrant flowers. Everything seemed green, but in the most elegant way. Why couldn't our castle be this incredibly marvelous?

As the knights stopped our carriage, Clyde stepped out. I quickly followed close behind, grabbing a few bags along the way. We were immediately greeted by the king and queen themselves, which was quite pleasant.

"Ah, prince Clyde Gregory: my soon to be son-in-law, fiancee to my lovely daughter: Alaia Margarette. Welcome to our castle. Please allow my assistants to carry your baggage."

"Thank you, King, of the Evergreen Lands. I am ever so thankful for your kindness," Clyde said maturely as he slightly bowed.

I followed his action soon after one of the king's assistants took the bag I carried kindly from my hands. If only Clyde's father used such kind words for the hard workers within the castle grounds back at our castle. The king requested that we rise, and to make ourselves at home.

"Corey, might you show this young assistant of Clyde's to where he shall be sleeping for the evening?" the king asked one of his assistants who seemed to be quite young.

"Of course, sir," Corey said with a smile.

I glanced at Clyde before following the young man to a large room at the back of the castle. It was a very warm room, furnished with small bunk beds covered with a multitudinous amount of blankets. It was so much different than back at home. I almost wished that we would stay to rule here instead of returning.

That was but a dream; however, and I may as well forget it. It seemed appropriate to change and rest, for I was to help Clyde the next morning to prepare for his wedding day. I sighed heavily as I settled in my designated, yet comfortable bunk before falling into a deep slumber.