Chapter 17

I exited the Evergreen Castle town, and to my surprise, there was a lone horse awaiting me. Perhaps he was left behind by the mail carriers? I approached the horse carefully and got on with an ease I was not expecting. I looked back at the entrance, still pondering my decision, but I knew that it was likely I'd see him again. I kicked at the horse's sides gently to get him going, and kept at a constant speed until I felt a little more comfortable. A thankful feeling washed over me for all the times I watched young knights practice riding horses from the balcony during duty as a young child: the whippings I received were being paid off. Eventually, I was able to bring the horse to a faster speed.

I wasn't quite sure where I was going, but I figured that since I have a pretty photogenic memory, I'd be able to pick up on tiny details from our trip to the Evergreen Lands. I eventually got to the outskirts and passed back into my homeland. At this point, I was feeling parched as well as starved. I held on, though. I knew that I carried a much too important message to stop now. Even if I had stopped, where would I find food or water?

The light of day was beginning to fade, as was my energy. I caught myself drifting off, and nearly falling from the horse that carried me. I kept catching myself, thankfully; but it became harder and harder. I then tried to concentrate on staying awake, but it was still a challenge.

Or so it was until I caught a glimpse of the castle I call home in the distance. My excitement grew for a moment before I realized the news I'd have to give. Of course it is better than the alternative, but nonetheless, Clyde was still out and about, and I was the only one to return. What would the King and Queen say?

It was completely dark by the time I reached the entrance. I got off the horse and silently thanked him for the ride as I stroked his mane. A content neigh was returned before I turned to see a bunch of people entering the castle town, and I moved swiftly to sweep in among them sneakily. I speed walked towards the castle, and nodded a hello to the guards who seemed to be intoxicated. For the first time, this was good news: because they didn't freak out at the sight of me, even though I had not been home for quite some time.

I walked up to the castle entrance and opened the doors. The warm feeling of home swept over me. It was a comforting feeling, even though I didn't necessarily have the best of memories here. It was very dark in the main hall of the castle, except for the bright glowing light coming from the throne room: in which I heard commotion coming from. I headed that way, worry shrouding my every thought. Was I too late to tell the good news before the bad? Just as I reached the entrance, I halted at the stentorian shouts and cries that permeated the area.

"How could this happen?" It was the Queen, who sobbed very loudly.

"I should have known!" the King roared. "They were out for our kingdom too, and for them to come out at such a perfect timing was bold. I will have their heads!"

"Can you not be melancholy for one moment?" the Queen asked sorrowfully. "Our sons are dead! They're dead!"

Her sobbing intensified, and I wondered if I had heard her correctly.

"Melvin is not our son!" the King growled with a threatening tone.

"Yes he is!" the Queen argued with a sound of plead in her voice. "Or, he was. Either way, it was awful of us to treat him the way we did." It was silent for a few moments, tension easing ever so slightly as if the King were thinking long and hard about her words. "He was truly to become the next king," she continued cautiously, "But now both of our sons are dead!"

"Don't speak that way," the King said with a voice that had softened considerably.

"You don't even act as if you care! Didn't you love our son? Our sons?"