Chapter 16

It took us the equivalent of forever to finally reach the entrance to the Evergreen Castle, especially since Clyde insisted so urgently that we be extraordinarily careful. I wasn't exactly complaining, though, since our time alone was extremely wonderful. I was feeling quite drained and fatigued, however, but that did not stop me from wanting to rush into the castle grounds and search for survivors. Clyde, however, held me back with his attentive, yet firm hold on my hand. His eyes darted back and forth around the area, acting as though he was sure it was a trap. I, on the other hand, sensed the placidness around us, and silently begged for Clyde to ease up.

He did so just the slightest bit, and I took the chance to dart into the area. My eyes were greeted with the horrid images of death once more, and it was such a lamentable sight to see. Even more bodies laid across the courtyard: some stabbed excessively, others decapitated or skewered, and lastly, there were those crushed by the catapulted boulders. I felt a sickening lurch in my stomach and leaned over as what little I had left in my stomach came pouring out.

When I looked back up, Clyde was standing over me: a concerned look on his face. I hugged him, trying to forget about the vivid images that lied all around us. When I felt like I had recovered enough, I looked into the sky. It was still a little gray from the risen ash and smoke, but was slowly clearing up. Everything about this place brought feelings of grief and misery.

Suddenly, there were voices approaching the castle entrance. Clyde took no time in grabbing my arm and yanking me towards an area to hide. We kept running, as though being chased. More vivid images of death came into view with each turn we took, but I had to push past them. Eventually, we came to a place where Clyde felt it was safe for us to hide. It was a narrow corner of what looked to be a wall of a house: now burnt to the ground. Clyde pushed me into the narrow slot and slid in beside me. He poked his head out and listened intently for a sign of the voices getting near.

I too listened, but my mind was playing tricks on me. I kept hearing numerous voices enclosing on our location, but I know that if they were, Clyde would've picked up on them in a heartbeat. We stood there for ages, waiting, and contemplating on our next move.

"Clyde?" I whispered hesitantly.

"Shhh!" he quickly hushed.

"But-" I was cut off at this point by Clyde's stern finger thrusting against my lips.

That's when I heard it: the sound of real voices. I knew they were not in my head this time, for Clyde had tuned in by leaning forward and straining assiduously. They were not the voices of knights, for they were frightful and curious. I listened in to better hear what they were saying as well.

"Who could've done such a thing?" one man said with a trembling voice.

"I- I don't know," began another man with a raspier voice, yet also quite shaken. "But whoever it was must've been out for this place for quite some time."

"Yeah," the first man agreed.

"Aye, gentleman," a new, oddly familiar voice said quite vociferously.

"Hey!" the two men called out in fright.

"Fletcher! You've got to warn a man 'fore you jump out an' scare 'em like that!"

"Sorry," Fletcher apologized nonchalantly, and without a bit of sincerity. "I'm just worried about what the boss'll say."

"What d'ya mean?"

"Well, his son and Melvin, er, the servant, are dead. There is no way they survived this outbreak. He'll be heartbroken to hear."

"You're right, Fletcher. The poor mother, though: nobody will be more heartbroken than she!"