Chapter One - Daisies

I was once told by my mother that I was destined for great things. She whispered things about home men would be knocking on my door for dates and that I would be amazingly popular... but by the time I reached Primary School, well all sorts of odd things began to come my way.

All of my mothers whispers and promises flew out the window... just like the way my father had left. It for as long as I could remember was just my mother and I. She rarely spoke of the man who was my father. I didn't know a name, I didn't know what he looked like... I only knew that he had left after he found out about my mothers pregnancy. This left me and my mother to deal with the strange happening all on our own. I was the misfit. The freak, weirdo... I am strange... and very alone. 

From the time I was a young I was addressed as strange and abnormal. From the time it was up to my mother to protect me from those who were upset by what I was. She pretended that it did not bother her, the way people looked at me, her, us. I knew differently, though that may have only been because my bedroom was next to hers... and I could hear her sobs through the wall late at night.

I had a lot of anger towards my father. Had he known that I would be so strange? Was I the reason he left? My whole life had been filled with what ifs, and it was all because of him. He broke my heart before it could even form. 

Though I knew little about my father I knew some things. On good days my mother would whisper how I had his looks. I shared his dark hair and crystal eyes. She spoke how my grin mirrored him, and while on some days this made me happy it also made me sad. I hated that I shared anything with him. 

Even at a young age I was angry. Frustrated that I was not normal, that I couldn't have any friends because of the bullies at my school. I was the local misfit. A huge disappointment to my mother... which broke both of us and ruined what ever chance we may have had at ever having a normal relationship.

These thoughts ran through my head everyday. Today was no different. 

I sat in the field behind my house. It had long since been farmed, and now was filled with all sorts of flowers. No one came here, so for me it was a escape from every other horrible thing in my life. I was sit in the beautiful swarm of colorful flowers and feel at peace. Their lovely scent relaxed me, and the fact that there was no pattern calmed me.

I was happy here.

At times the local bullying girls would walk by cackling hurtful words... but here it didn't bother me as much, that I was different and what not. I guess it made sense though, that today it would get to me. The day everything changed. 

"Look who it is Bonnie!" A bully named Peggy taunted to her friend as they walked closer to me, "It's dumb Dawn." 

The two girls cackled at the words they called me. "I don't know if I want to go over there Peg..." Bonnie said frightfully... it hurt that she was actually scared of me. I was used to being picked on. I was used to being called names and  being teased... but no one had ever shown fear towards me.

"Oh don't tell me your frightened! It's just stupid, strange, queer, weird, dumb, Dawn." Peggy taunted at me, I knew a hurt look was on my face... but I was not only upset. I was angry. It wasn't my fault that strange things happened around me. I COULDN'T HELP IT.

Bonnie looked down to her shoes, "I am not a scardy cat Peg, it's just my mum doesn't want me to go near her."

I took shaky breath before I stood up and turned and faced them. The weird tingling feeling was happening once again... something strange was about to happen. "Why!" I demanded at the already frightened Bonnie, "Because I am always around when weird things happen! I'm am human to! You don't think I already hate myself enough! Everyday I put up with people like you calling me names! Everyday I am alone!"