The Terrible Monster of What-If

Staring at the clock over the whiteboard was all Jessie could focus on. Her whole being was focused on the ticking seconds that passed by getting closer and closer to the bell to call school out. She thought if she focused hard enough time would go slower and she could stay in class longer. The terrible monster of 'What If' had crawled into her subconscious and made permanent residence in her skull throughout that day. Breaking her eyes away from the clock she tapped her pencil on her fingers and looked at the classmates around her. They were all normal, just like her, so why did she have to represent them at the Wayne party. Why couldn't someone else go? Let Katherine go. She had straight A's, took all AP classes. Even Tate would be better suited. They had lived abroad for their entire life and had the whole 'global-citizen' act down to a science. Connor would be a shoo-in to go. His family was rich and he was captain of the water polo team. The WATER POLO TEAM. What was so special about Jessie? Being on student council? That hardly counted as there were 6 others on the council as well.

The sound of the bell rang through her ears as she started packing up. Again, the anxious feeling came back to her she had been dealing with it on and off all day. The walk home was much shorter today than she would have liked. Jessie still smiled as she stepped through the door because there were still a couple more blessed hours before she had to get ready. While looking like a sophisticated socialite was a thought that did not leave her with feelings of panic, she was not excited for the unfamiliar attire and makeup that went with the look. She quickly ran up the stairs and started her homework. She stopped her work when the sound of her mother coming home entered the home. Jumping up from her spot she ran down to go see her mother. "Mom!" She giggled and hugged her.

"Well someone's happy to see me." She smiled and hugged back. "Start getting ready we have to leave soon. Sorry I'm so late, my boss had me work a little later today. Of all the days!" Jessie nodded to her mom before running upstairs and pulling the dress out of its plastic covering. She slid it on and went downstairs. One of her mother's friends had come over to do hair and makeup.

Three coats of foundation, two different lipsticks, a half an hour dedicated just to eyeshadow and twenty seven bobby pins later Jessie was ready to leave.

Jessie stood and looked in the hallway mirror. She stared at her appearance in the mirror. She looked elegant. Her hair was put up in a simple bun with small tendrils hanging down on the sides of her face. Her eyes were lined fiercely with black eyeliner and her eyelids painted like ash. Jessie stood there taking it all in. She appreciated the art of being able to look grown up while not having to take on any of the responsibility. She could most certainly wait to grow up.

She put her phone and extra lip stick in her purse before descending down the stairs for the third time that day. Her mother was waiting downstairs for her and gasped when she came down.

"Jessie you look amazing!" She exclaimed and hugged her. Jessie smiled.

"Thanks, mom . You look amazing too." Jessie took her hand. Her mother was wearing a navy blue dress made of a soft looking fabric that flowed the the floor. The sleeves were made of a delicate lace that came up to form a high neckline. Her graying brown hair no longer looked frazzled but was pulled back into an elegant braid that came down onto her shoulder.

"Off we go then!" Her mother said as she lead them outside to hail a taxi.

"Thanks for coming with me mom. It means a lot to me that you're here." Jessie said as they rode along the illuminated streets, getting closer and closer the the center of Gotham.

"I wouldn't leave you for the world." 

__________________________________________________________________________

Special thanks to "Iamarkhamasylum", My editor. She is amazical and knows how to make my ideas awesome... and grammatically correct.