TWO :: GREEN EYED TEXAN

Greenwich Village, New York
October 27, 1929

––

"i'm trying not to let it show,
that i don't want to let this go."

––

Riley looked to Lucas. The man was handsome, with tan skin, dirty blond hair, emerald eyes, and high, defined cheek bones. His shoulders were broad and hunched over the bar. He held a flask of Brandy in his hand.

Lucas looked up at Riley, and she felt herself shrink under his gaze. She began to bite down on the inside of her mouth. Riley shifted her gaze to Maya, who sat on the opposite side of Lucas. Riley watched her best friend purse her lips as her big blue eyes searched the back of Lucas' head.

"Maya," Riley blurted out, making Maya tear her eyes away from Lucas.

"What?" Maya tore her eyes away from Lucas to look up at Riley.

"Don't you think we should leave Mr. Friar and Mr. Babinueax alone? I'm sure they would appreciate it."

"No, Riley. It's okay," Lucas cut in."And call me Lucas."

Riley smiled at him.

"Well, Huckleberry? Gonna keep us in suspense?"

"Maya!" Riley protested again."You shouldn't ask! It's rude!"

"Something. I shouldn't talk about it," Lucas answered, lips pressed in a firm line.

"If you shouldn't talk about it, why'd ya go and get Riles and I interested, Huckleberry?" Maya persisted.

"Maya, stop," Riley repeated.

Lucas glanced at Riley.

"I think you should listen to your friend, Maya. One day, you'll ask a question you don't want to know the answer to," Lucas affirmed seriously.

"So you're saying I go too far?" Maya argued, standing.

"Maya, stop!" Riley repeated again, harsher this time.

"See, you've known me for maybe an hour, and you're already arguing with me!" Lucas exclaimed, coming to his feet as well.

"Zay, you're back!" Riley exclaimed, trying to avert Maya and Lucas's attention off of their dispute. The two looked to Zay.

Zay furrowed his brows, looking between Maya and Lucas.

"I don't know what I just missed, but why don't y'all just take a seat and have a drink? You look like you could use it," Zay suggested, taking a seat next to Riley.

"Zay's right," Lucas agreed before taking his former spot.

Pursing her lips, Maya sat down between Lucas and Riley.

Riley gave Zay a tight, apologetic smile as she helped him move the conversation off of the previous events.

***

"Isadora! Sorry I was out for so long," Farkle said calmly once he found his secretary, who was in his office of all places.