Part VI

Marceline started to live in Hoth. It was a small hut, but it was quite warm inside; she couldn't eat or drink normal food, Mars had to eat some sort of grey-ish mass and a black liquid that didn't freeze. At the beginning, it tasted awful, but with the years, it became tasteless. The queen visited her every two days, Areah brought her supplies, and kept her informed with the latest news. Most of the time, the queen talked about dull balls and gossips from the kingdom, trying to avoid subjects such as the rising of the First Order, the Resistance, Kylo Ren, Luke's exile or the Republic. Marceline grew tired of her mother's superficial chatting, but it was the only social or human contact she had.

One day, she heard the sound of a ship near her hut. Mars thought it was her mother, even if she had been with her a day before. There was knock on the door.

"Now you're coming every day?" She asked sarcastically. Her grin faded when she saw who was behind the door "Princess Leia" she gasped.

"Hello Marceline" Leia greeted kindly "May I?"

"Of- of course" Mars moved aside so Leia could enter to the hut "Make yourself at home"

Leia chuckled "I haven't seen you in a long time" she mid smile "The last time I saw you, you were twelve. And now, you're a woman, a beautiful woman. I dare to say you're far more beautiful than your mother"

Mars blushed and mutter a 'thank you' "Please have a sit" she said pointing at a chair "I don't want to be rude, but, to what do I owe your visit?"

"Not at all, dear" she said "As you probably know, the First Order has rised. The Republic has been threatened by it, so the Resistance made an allience with the Republic" Marceline nodded "We have made our best to fight against it, but it seems is not enough. We need more experienced people to help us"

Mars wasn't sure if she had understood the princess's point "Yes?"

"Marceline, I'm asking you to join the Resistance" Leia said seriously "You're a Jedi Knight, you're well prepared for this situations. We need people like you"

Mars hesitated it. She knew she had to hide here, it was dangerous to leave Hoth. But, she remembered the last thing Mara said to her. The force will guide you. She had made a choice.

"I will" Mars said firmly.

"You will?" Leia was a little confused, she didn't expect Mars to give her an answer that quickly.

Marceline nodded "There's still good in the galaxy, and it's worth fighting for" she quoted Luke's words.

"Very well then, I will let you know when you're leaving" Leia stand up and walked to the door, with Mars following her "I really appreciate what you're doing for us"

"Nonsense, it's my pleasure"

Leia smiled and went back to her ship.

Mars closed the door and leaned on it. What will my mother say? She chuckled.
--------
The next day, her mother arrived with her as always. Areah was telling her about a ball at some duchess's palace.

"Of course Lady Keera was wearing a horrible green dress, it had jewels all over it-"

"Have you asked to pappa when can I go back home?" Mars cut her off.

"No, I haven't. You know your father, he's been busy" Areah replied bluntly "Why do you ask?"

"I'm joining the Resistance" Mars watched her mother's reaction.

The queen gasped "Marceline, you know the Resistance it's not a place for a princess"

"And inhabited and coldest place in the whole galaxy is?" Mars questioned "Besides, I'm no longer a princess, I'm a Jedi"

"Marceline" Areah said "Don't use that tone on me"

"Mamma, I'm tired of waiting for someone to rescue me" Marceline took her mother's hand "I know what I must do"

Areah let out a few tears "Promise me you'll take care"

"I promise" Mars pulled a her mother for a hug.

------------

Mars went to check on her old A-Wing. Even it gave her a few bad memories, it was the ship where she first learn to pilot one. When she arrived to the cave where it was hidden, she placed her hand softly in it, as she wasn't trying to hurt it.

"We will see each other again" Mars smiled.

Her smile faded when she heard a dying beep from the back of the cave. She took out her saber and walked to where she heard the sound; Mars found a damaged BB unit. It was missing a few parts, and was worst in the inside. Mars carried it gently, and took it inside her hut.; she dedicated the whole night to repair it. By sunrise, it was good as new.

Mars was falling asleep in her desk when she heard a the BB unit trying to move.

"Hello" Mars greeted "Are you feeling better now?"

The droid beeped replying a 'yes' and a 'thank you'

"That's good, buddy. Do you have a name?" A quite happy beep came out of the droid "BB-4, huh? Well, BB-4 make yourself comfortable"

BB-4 started rolling in the hut, and knocking different objects with almost every move "And tell me, you have a master? Or maybe someone that's looking for you?"

BB-4 said he didn't belong to anyone, and he had no idea how he got there.

"If you want, you can stay with me" Mars shrugged "I don't have a lot of company here, I could use a friend".

The droid beeped happily and rolled faster around the room.