Crackling Phone Calls

Phoebe P.O.V

I sat at the breakfast bar awkwardly, looking over at Dan as he stared into space. His eyes were empty and soul less, and it broke my heart to see him like that. The clock ticked in the corner, each second turning into minutes, and minutes turning into hours, like monotonous heartbeats. Outside, cars drove frantically past, making the silence slightly more bareable, but not much more. PJ tapped his fingers on the marble worktop and sighed heavily. After numerous phone calls to Phil, there were no answers and we were growing increasingly more worried for his welfare. Even Dan who had no interest in him. He had made that perfectly clear through random bouts of swearing and "How could he?"s. 

Dan stood up and stretched skyward, making his face look tired and dragged down as it got closer to the light.  He placed his arm lightly on my shoulder and kissed the side of my head.

"You okay?" He whispered, forehead resting on my shoulder. 

"I guess.." 

"If it makes you feel any better, why don't you try again?"

"No Dan, you try." 

He took a step back, slightly offended by the tone in my voice. My face stayed stern, as this was time to stop playing games, and get serious as to where Phil was. This was no joke. 

"Well, he wouldn't answer on my phone.." Dan murmured. he scratched his neck awkwardly. 

"Use mine then. No excuses Dan."

Reluctantly, he picked up my phone and dialled the number that had been memorised by us for the last four hours. The tones rang out loud, and we all listened for signs of life. After several durges, the line dropped, and a crackle of music could be heard on the line. Dan's eyes widened.

"Phil? Phil can you hear me?" 

A muffled voice came through the phone, along with more music. 

"Phil we are worried about you!"

More music and muffled music, until a womans voice hummed through the speaker...

"Hello Dan.." A sultry voice said: "Phil isn't available at this point in time, oh but baby, try again later."

The line went dead as our faces all dropped simultaneously. Dan placed the phone on the counter, trying to process the information we had all been confronted with..