How Could You?

Dan P.O.V

Phoebe sat cross legged on PJ's sofa, sipping another Starbucks which he had gone to get for us all. We were patched up again, crossed wires made us nearly lose the closest things to us. Eachother. We were both a little shaken up, not quite believing that all this had happened yet it wasn't even 3 o'clock yet.

Phoebe jolted in her seat, making her coffee threaten to spill. Pulling out her phone, she closed her eyes and breathed out, lips pursed nervously. I knew exactly what was going on.

"You alright?" I mouthed, so Peej couldn't hear. She just blinked and threw the phone to me, not even looking at me. I read the messages.

"Listen Phoebe, please come back. Is Dan with you? He won't answer I don't know what to do. Please just come back and we can sort this out. Phil"

A new kind of anger came over me and I shook my head slowly.

"Yeah we can sort this out." I said out loud, standing up and making for the door. Phoebe grabbed my arm, PJ following after her.

"Dan, maybe leave it a day or so mate, you're still immensely angry. Will this truly solve anything?" PJ questioned, sympathy in his eyes but affirmation in his expression.

"Probably not PJ but what is there to solve? He doesn't need a lesson he needs a bloody wake up call." I carried on striding towards the door. "Phoebe, stay here."

And with that, I left.

Phoebe P.O.V

I looked at PJ and rolled my eyes.

"Bollocks." He cursed, rubbing the back of his neck out of helplessness.

"Should we go after him?"

"...No. Leave him. Phil is used to him when he's angry, he might be able to deal with him."

"He will say the wrong thing Peej, and ruin everything they have-"

"Don't you think it's ruined already?"

He looked at me out of pity, and pulled me into a hug to comfort my raging anxiety. What if this is it? What if they're over because of this? I called Dan, thinking he would be on the tube by now:

"Hello?"

"Hello? Dan? Can you hear me?"

"Yep." His voice was dead and unemotional.

"Listen to me Dan, don't do anything stupid.. For God's sake shall I come with you?"

"No Phoebe, I don't want you there. This is between me and him. He wouldn't have done.. it, if he wasn't aware of how things would turn out. I'll be back at PJ's soon. I love you."

And before I could respond, he hung up the phone. It was out of my hands now.

Dan P.O.V

I got off the tube, almost stomping from determination and anger. Our flat seemed so much less like home now that I know who lived there, and what he did. This hasn't just affected me, it's made Phoebe incredibly uncomfortable to even think of him, it's ruined our friendship, and my trust for him has come down like a skyscraper. The one good thing though, is that it has strengthened mine and Phoebe's relationship, something which I'm sure he didn't intend to do.

Before my thoughts had elevated to their extremes, I saw the flat in the distance, one light on in our kitchen and nothing else. Pushing the key in the lock, I knew he had heard me downstairs as I tried to make it known that someone was here.

"Phoebe?" He shouted down to me. I shuddered that he actually had the audacity to believe that she would come back here to 'reason with him'. I couldn't hold it in any longer, and I went full throttle at him.

"Yeah you fxcking wish Phil."

"Oh Dan. It's you. Where have you been?"

"Where have I been? Well Phil, in fact I've been at PJ's house trying to get MY girlfriend to tell me what happened!" I was shouting now, properly.

"And what did she sa-"

"Oh don't you stand there and act like you don't know! You kissed her Phil.." I slowed my voice and I choked slightly on the sentence I never thought I would have to say. "You kissed her.."

"I don't know what to say.."

"Why Phil? How could you?"

"D-Dan, I don't know. I guess it was a heat of the moment thing, I didn't think you would walk in-"

"So what would be better then? Me walking in to find you kissing my girlfriend or for me to have never found out, and be living with someone that would betray me like that?!"

"I never meant to hurt you Dan!" He was shouting back now. "You're not so special that your feelings would be my intention when I did that!"

"Oh yeah, that's right turn it on me again, because I don't matter do I?! What I felt for her, and still feel for her now just doesn't matter to you, does it? At the end of the day, you got what you wanted Phil, you got what you went out for, but me, I'm the one who will have to look at you and remember what you did..."

"Dan, I'm sorry.."

"Oh because that's going to make this better is it, that's going to.. going to change this is it?"

"No of course not! But nothing I can do can change it now can it?!"

"No Phil you're right. Nothing can change what you've done.." I paused and looked down, shifting on my feet. "You know what Phil? I really hope you're happy, I hope you got something out of this, because everyone just had something taken away from them.."

We stopped shouting, but the sheer anger was carried in the way I spoke to him.

"How could I be happy with this?.. I'm going Dan."

But now, this raised me up again, and I was back on the bandwagon.

"You know it's laughable, thinking you can walk out of your problems and leave other people to pick up the pieces!"

"Good! I'm glad this amuses you!"

I was done...

"Do you know what Phil?! Go! I don't care! Just know that I won't be here when you get back!"

"Well neither will I so that works out perfectly doesn't it?!"

And with that, he slammed the door, leaving me slumped against the wall in the hallway, sobbing into my palms and realising what had just happened...