19// like real people do

ogygia, 2015

The two of them worked tirelessly to build a proper guidance console for Michael's personally raft. After a long day of work, they sat on the beach, gazing up at the stars.

"All you need now is raft," Luke reminded, smiling brightly at him. They had worked hard, and it wouldn't be for nothing.

Michael grinned back, the gears in his head spinning.  "I can start chopping wood into boards tomorrow. Few days, and we'll have enough for a small hull."

" So," Luke began, the question had been nagging him all day, "how long until you set sail?" he tried to make it sound like the fact that he was leaving wasn't somewhat depressing. Luke liked having company.

"Another week, at the least." Micheal dug his feet into the sand, looking back up at the sky.

"This took so long to make." Luke mused, looking at the small GPS, as Michael had called it.

"You can't rush perfection," The green haired boy joked, punching Luke's shoulder lightly.

"Yes, but will it work?"

"Getting out, no problem. But to get back I'll need an airplane and-"

Luke's brain short-circuited. What did he mean, to get back? No man could ever return here, it was the rule. Nobody had tried, but it was the rule. "What?"

Micheal turned to look at Luke, his mouth painted into a concerned expression. His eyes always seeking for an answer like didn't seem to have. "An airplane is a device that flies." He explained rather bluntly.

"You have told me about airplanes," He had described them while they were building on day, but that didn't matter. "What do you mean get back?"

Michael raised an eyebrow, chuckling apprehensively. "To get back here, duh. I'm sure I said that."

Luke didn't know how to respond, Michael couldn't come back. "You most certainly did not!" His voice raised slightly, and Michael looked slightly scared.

"I'm not gonna' leave you here!" Michael protested, "After you helped me and everything? Of course I'm coming back. Once I get a plane, that will be hard. Anyway, I think with that crystal you gave me will -"

Everything that Micheal was saying made no sense, and Luke knew it was hopeless. "You can't come back." He said the words slowly, his voice cracking.

In some sad way, Michael already knew this. He knew Luke would not want him back. "Because I'm not welcome?" he asked.

"Because you can't. It's impossible. No man finds Ogygia twice. That's the rule."

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, well, you might have noticed I'm not good at following rules. I'm coming back here with a airplane., and I'll spring you. Take you wherever you want to go. It's only fair."

"Fair." Luke stated bluntly. The word seemed strange on his lips, his live had never been fair.

"You really didn't think I could start Michael and Luke's Auto Repair without Luke, did you? I can't make lemonade and stew, and I sure can't sing," Michael said, meeting his blue eyes briefly.

"Well, anyway," he continued, sitting back up, "tomorrow I'll start on the lumber. And in a few days.."

His voice got cut off, green eyes trailing to the water in alarm. A single raft bobbed in the ocean. The raft that meant Luke had romantic feelings. Luke knew that deep down, he did. He really liked Michael.

Luke jumped up. "Hurry!" he said, grabbing some supply bags. "I don't know how long it will stay!"

"But," Michael stood up, looking dazed. "That's the magic raft?"

Luke could only nod,  "It might work like it's supposed to and take you where you want to go, but we can't be sure. The island's magic is obviously unstable." He tried to lie, so Micheal couldn't figure out his true feelings. Picking up the console, Luke said, "you must rig up your guidance device to navigate."

Michael sprinted over to the raft and helped him wire the device. Never, in Luke's whole three thousand years, had he met someone as capable as Michael. He may not be muscular, like any of the other heroes Luke had encountered, but he certainly was better, in his own way. He found that he liked that a lot more.

The rigging tightened. The sail turned. The raft began scraping against the sand, straining to reach the waves.

"Go," Luke heard himself say.

Michael turned. "The raft finally got here," he said stupidly.

He snorted, crossing his tanned arms.  "You just noticed?"

"But it only shows up for guys you like."

"Don't push your luck, Michael Clifford.," he snapped. "I still hate you."

"Okay."

"And you are not coming back here. So don't give me any empty promises."

"How about a full promise?" he insisted, "I'm definitely -"

Luke had heard enough. He grabbed Michael's face and kissed him hard. He could feel the other boys beating heart against his.

What was he doing? He had been absolutely horrible to Michael this whole time. Luke put all his emotion into the kiss, because he knew it was ending fast.

They broke apart, Luke pushing Michael away, "That didn't happen." Luke insisted.

"Okay," Michael whispered, looking slightly stunned.

"Get out of here."

"Okay."

Luke turned around, and sprinted back to his cave, refusing to let the tears fall. When he got to his cave, he looked back down at the beach. There was no sign of him.

A single tear trickled down his face.

Michael was never coming back.

a/n lol sorry