Chapter Eleven

There's a banging on the front door, so loud that it makes Ellie and I both jump up out of a dead sleep. The room is pitch black and it takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust. I watch the outline of Ellie trip over a throw rug as she stumbles through the door and into the hallway. I follow behind her cautiously and stand in the hallway as she flips on the living room light and opens the door.

I peak at the clock and notice it is almost 7 pm. We have slept the entire day away.

Tig rushes in the house as soon as the door opens, followed by Happy. They look disheveled, anxious. My eyes scan over them and I notice drops of blood splattered on their shoes.

"Hey man. Sorry I'm late," I say cautiously, thinking maybe Chibs sent them after me, pissed that I didn't show up at the clubhouse on time for whatever it was he had planned.

"This ain't about that," Tig says, dismissing me before he turns toward Ellie, eyes wide. "Something's happened, Sweetheart. We need your help."

Ellie nods her head, as if this is something that happens often. She slides on her boots and throws open the front closet- pulling out a small, leather bag. I can feel the rush and grab my jacket off the back of the couch and shrug it on.

"What's happening?" I ask to no one in particular as I follow Tig, Happy and Ellie out of the house.

Tig and Happy ignore me, hop on the back of their bikes and take off down the street. Ellie walks over to her car and pressed the button on her keys to unlock it. I climb in beside her and she throws her bag in my lap.

"What the hell is happening right now?" I repeat, looking over at her and trying to gain her attention.

She starts the car and pulls from the drive, her tires squealing as she follows them to God knows where.

"Someone's hurt," she says, blowing a red light to keep up with Chibs and Happy.

"Why don't they take them to a hospital? What can you do about it?" I ask, still not quite understanding the situation.

She looks over at me and rolls her eyes.

"I am their hospital," she explains, taking a quick corner so quick that my body turns with the SUV.

"I didn't know you were a doctor," I reply dryly.

"I don't remember you asking," she retorts, her eyes darting toward me before turning her eyes back toward the road and biting her lip. "Besides, it was my weekend off."

***

"Everyone needs to back up," Ellie says as we rush up the stairs and into the clubhouse.

I walk up to the pool table, where they have two men sprawled out on a plastic tarp, side by side.

Kenny and Ratboy groan in pain, their clothes covered in blood, as Ellie makes her way to their sides.

"Oh, shit, Kenny," Ellie says, while Ratboy writhes in agony beside him.

"I'm fine," Kenny says with a small smile. "Just a flesh wound. Take care of Ratboy."

Ellie nods and swipes at the tears in her eyes before taking a deep breath and going over toward where Chibs sits pressing a bloodied towel to Ratboys stomach.

"Single gunshot wound to the abdomen," Chibs explains as Ellie looks toward him for specifics and put on a pair of latex gloves. "The bullet went straight through."

Ellie nods toward Chibs and he pulled his hands away cautiously.

I've seen enough Doctor shows in my day to know if the blood begins to squirt chaotically, then more than likely the bullet had hit something that it really shouldn't have. Luckily, I watch as Ellie breathes a sigh of relief and begins to meticulously sew him up without any unnecessary dramatics.

Chibs leaves Ellie to work on Ratboy, while he further inspects Kenny's injury, which is a single shot to the leg. Ellie looks toward Chibs briefly.

"I have another suture set in the bag if you want to get started," she says to him.

He doesn't look too thrilled with the idea. I don't know his history with medicine, but Ellie has just shown me not to make assumptions about anyone. Reluctantly, Chibs grabs Ellie's bag and takes out the necessary instruments.

The two of them work in silence, with the occasional cry of pain from either Kenny or Ratboy. The rest of the club watches in worried anticipation, and I stand back wondering what the hell has happened that led us all here.