Chapter 23

El's POV-

So damn quiet.

I sit on my couch, watching the evening news with a mug of warm tea in my hands and my feet tucked underneath my bottom. Kenny isn't home, as always. He's out doing something with the boys, but he never bothers to fill me in on what.

I can't help but think of the night before with Tommy as the weather man goes on and on about the local drought and the rising temps. His hands on my body, his mouth on my mouth. I know I'm older than him. I know I shouldn't feel this way about him. But damn...I can't help myself. And I don't want to.

"It's going to be another hot and dry one folks, so keep in the A.C and hope for cooler days ahead," the poised and pretty man says into the camera just as a brusque knock sounds at my door.

I roll my eyes, knowing it is bound to be something or someone I don't want to deal with. The only people who come by here were SONS when they needed me to stitch someone, girls looking to get in my brother's pants, my obnoxious neighbor and recently, Abel, who still hasn't given up on Tommy going home with him.

I guess if I have to pick one annoyance to end my already shitty night, I'd choose Abel. He's become a definite pain my ass but at least he keeps shit interesting.

I climb to my feet and walk the four steps to the door. My first mistake is that I don't check the peep hole to see who is waiting on the other side.

Instead, I swing the door open carelessly. I am immediately regretting my decision, as Cal glares viciously at me from the porch. I try to close the door in his face. I know without a shadow of a doubt that any situation that leaves the two of us alone won't be a good one for me. Unfortunately, he seems to predict my move and puts the tip of his black boot in the doorway to stop the door from closing.

On a quick impulse, I decide to stop fighting. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get him to leave by talking to him as if he has some kind of sane reasoning skills in that egotistical, sociopathic brain of his.

"What do you want, Cal?" I ask as I step back and fold my arms over my chest.

Cal laughs and walks into the living room without an invitation. The hair stands up on my arms and I run my hands over them, trying to keep myself calm. It's not easy to appear in control when every inch of your body is screaming for you to run away, and run fast.

"I think it's pretty obvious," he states as he takes a threatening step toward me.

Instinctively, I step back- But not before I swing the front door all the way open, leaving us visible to the outside world. It's dark outside and the streets are silent, but seeing a possible escape route makes me feel a smidgeon better.

"Actually, it's not," I counter. "We're done, Cal. Over."

"Yeah, that's just not going to work for me," he purrs, taking another step toward me as I take another step backward.

"Well, it's going to have to work for you. I'm pretty sure Tig and Chibs told you to stay away from me. And my brother should be home soon..." I declare, trying to appear confident and sure of myself.

On the inside, I'm completely engulfed in fear. Cal is wearing the look of a very determined mad man. His eyes are calculating, observant and malicious. He wants to hurt me. One way or another, he is going to try. I know in this moment that I'm going to have to fight back.

I'm starting to shake, and he notices. I can tell because the corners of his mouth tilt in an evil sneer as he continues to take hesitant, thoughtful steps toward me.

"I could give two shits what those assholes think about me, Doll. I'm not playing for that team anymore. And Kenny's out in Lodi with a few of the boys. He won't be back for hours."