Chapter Fifteen

"Abel," I comment, trying to contain my anger, as Ellie walks slowly into the room behind me. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Abel rolls his eyes and walks inside the house without an invitation, dropping his overnight bag on the floor.

"I could ask you the same question, little brother," he replies, looking behind me at where El stood staring at him.

He smiles at her, a smile much like mine, like our fathers, and walks up to her with his hand outstretched.

"Abel Padilla," he greets, his eyes raking over her body appreciatively.

Ellie smiles and reaches out to take his hand.

Abel brings her hand to his lips and kisses the back of it, causing El to look over at me with an amused half-grin.

"Ellie Winston," she introduces herself politely, her eyes never leaving my face.

Every movement he makes only pisses me off more. I'm fuming and I'm sure El can see it. I reach out, cupping Abel's shoulder, and turn him around to face me.

"What the hell are you doing here, Abel?" I repeat.

"I could ask you the same thing. Oh yeah," he replies, reaching out and poking my chest with his finger. "I did!"

I roll my eyes and push his hand away from me.

"Mom and Dad called me two days ago and said they hadn't heard from you. Said you were supposed to be home already." Abel finally explains.

"It's none of your business," I counter.

"When Mom calls me crying, worried you're following in Jacksons footsteps, it became my business."

I pick up his bag and shove it into his chest.

"Get the hell out of here, Abel. My life is just that. It's mine. I don't need you or Wendy or Nero dictating what I do with it."

A knock sounds on the door, indicating that Tig has finally arrived.

Just fucking great.

Ellie walks around where Abel and I stand glaring at each other. She opens the door and Tig walks in.

Abel's eyes shoot toward him, scrunching in distaste and recognition.

"Well, I'll be damned. If it isn't little Abel Teller," Tig says to Abel, smiling widely as he did the first time he saw me.

"Padilla," Abel practically spits, as if having the last name Teller was a curse.

I feel my blood boiling inside me.

The nerve of this shit head to look down on my family, on his family.

Just who the fuck did he think he was?

Tig raises a confused brow, but lets the comment go.

"You probably don't remember me, but we used to spend a lot of time together when you were a little tyke," Tig says, politely stepping forward and offering his hand for Abel to shake.

Abel looks down at his hand in repulsion, making no effort to reach for it.

"I tried forgetting you for years, Uncle Tig," he comments, the word Uncle sounding like a swear word coming from his mouth. "Unfortunately, it never took."

I can see Tig grind his teeth together. It's clear that Abel is finally getting to him.

Tig turns to me, deciding the best thing to do was ignore Abel's presence altogether.