Chapter Thirty - All The Odds Are Against Me

If smut makes you uncomfortable, I'd skip the first part of this chapter. Just a warning.

The next morning, Cal hadn't forgotten his promise. Gillian was still asleep but that wasn't going to stop him. He threw back the covers and removed her pants, followed by her underwear. He gently spread her legs and positioned himself between them. He began to gently suck on her clit and stuck two fingers inside her. Gillian started to squirm and make tiny little moans in her sleep.
Cal slowed down for a few seconds to draw her orgasm out. When he sped up again, Gillian's moans grew louder. Her body started to shake as she came.
"Oh, God, Cal!"
Cal licked her up and then kissed her.
"Good morning, love."
"Mmmmm, good morning, Cal."
"Did you sleep well?"
"I did. But as much as I love sleep, I think I love being woken like that even more." Gillian giggled.
"I'll store that information for future use."
"What time is it?"
"Eight."
"I told Anna that'd we would pick Sophie up at nine."
"I know. We still have an hour."
"Yeah, but Anna lives across the city."
"Don't worry about it, love. I'll go get Sophie, you stay here."
"Cal, I'm pregnant, not dying."
"And I'm perfectly capable of driving across D.C to pick Sophie up from Anna's without making any stupid decisions."
"Well, if you don't hurry, you'll be late! Something came up that Anna has to do today; she told me last night. So you need to get dressed and go."
"Like I told you, Gillybean, relax."
"Don't you dare start with that Gillybean mess with me again, Cal."

Sophie came running into the living room as Anna let her boss inside.
"Daddy!"
"Hey, love. Were you a good girl for Anna?" Cal asked as he scooped her up into his arms.
"I always a good girl!"
"Whatever you say."
"She was a perfect little angel. She always is."
"Maybe she is for you. She can be a perfect little terror when she feels like it."
"Go see Mama!" Sophie interrupted.
"She's at home, you'll see her in a bit. Why don't you tell Anna goodbye?"
"Bye-bye Anna!"
"Bye, Sophie!" Anna laughed.

When Cal got home, Gillian was curled up in the living room reading one of those ridiculous romance novels she loved so much.
"Mama!" Sophie squealed and jumped onto the couch beside her.
"Hey, baby! Did you have fun?"
"Yeah, but I miss you!" Sophie answered as she crawled into Gillian's lap.
"Aw, I missed you too!" Gillian told the little girl and kissed her forehead.
"Do you have to work?"
"No, but I have to go see the doctor today."
Gillian looked at Cal as she said the last part.
"What time?" He asked.
"2:30."
"Okay."
"Mama, why you go to the doctor?" Sophie asked.
"To check on the baby."
"This baby?" Sophie questioned, pointing to Gillian's stomach.
"Yes, that baby. Do you want to come with me?"
"Yeah!"

"Ms. Foster, it's good to see you. How are you?" Dr. Ryan asked at the appointment later that afternoon.
"Fine. I'm just constantly exhausted."
"Pregnancy is pushing your body to things it can barely do. It's wearing you out. That's why I've been telling you to please take it easy."
"I'm trying."
Dr. Ryan raised her eyebrows.
"Flying to Las Vegas is taking it easy?"
"That was an...emergency."
"I'm sure it was. No more flights until after this baby is born."
"I understand."
"Mama, who that?"
Dr. Ryan noticed the little girl in the corner holding Dr. Lightman's hand. She'd been quiet until now, that's why she hadn't noticed her before.
"I'm Dr. Ryan. You must be Sophie. I've heard a lot about you."
Sophie gave a shy smile and hid behind Cal's leg.

Dr. Ryan did a few tests then Gillian laid back and lifted her shirt. She put the heart doppler on Gillian's stomach to listen to the baby's heartbeat.
"What's that sound?" Sophie asked Dr. Ryan.
"That's the baby."
"Why does it sound scary?"
Gillian laughed.
"It's your little sister's heartbeat."
"Ohhhh."
"Do you want to see her?" Dr. Ryan asked.
"Can I?"
"Of course, but I'll need your help."
The doctor squeezed the cold gel onto Gillian's stomach, making her flinch. Then she handed Sophie the scanner.
"I need you to put this on Mama's tummy and move it around very slowly, okay? I'll tell you when to stop."
Sophie did as she was told.
"Okay, stop right there."
Sophie froze.
"Now, Sophie look at this screen."
The little girl looked where the doctor was pointing.
"That's your little sister."
"Mama, it so cute!"
"I know!" Gillian giggled. Sophie faced was lit up with excitement and it was adorable.
"Can you feel it moving?"
"Not yet. But when I can, I'll be sure to let you know."
"The baby is doing fine, but it seems like your placenta has pulled away a little more. If it happens again, the weight of the baby will probably cause the placenta to detach entirely, which depending on how far along you are, could prove fatal for the baby. Your blood pressure has gone down a little but it's continuing to stay high so I'm putting you on bed rest until further notice. No lifting children, doing any strenuous chores, and I don't want you on your feet for more than an hour at time."
"Okay." Gillian responded rather softly. Cal could tell by the look on her face she felt guilty.
They got home, put Sophie down for her nap and Cal brought it up. He could tell that Gillian was still upset.
"Gill, love, you've got to stop blaming yourself."
"Cal, if I hadn't gone to Vegas, it wouldn't have happened."
"We don't know that. No, Gillian, look at me."
Gillian looked up and Cal could see tears threatening to spill over.
"Cal, what if I can't do this? Most women's bodies were cut out for this. Mine wasn't. All the odds are against me. I have a family history of infertility, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, I've had two miscarriages, now my placenta is literally giving out and my blood pressure is ridiculous. What if something else goes wrong? What do I do then?"
"Gillian Foster, you deserve to have a baby of your own more than any other woman in the world. And you're going to. What's done is done, and whether it was your fault or not-which it wasn't- it doesn't matter. The baby is healthy and you're going to carry her to term, and she's going to be just as beautiful as her mother. I promise."
"Cal, you can't promise me that."
"I can. And I am."
Cal wrapped his arms around Gillian and pulled her close.
"No matter what happens, I'm going to be here." He told her.
Gillian snuggled deeper into Cal's chest.
"I know." She answered.

I seriously feel like this story is getting more ridiculous with every chapter😂😂