1: My World

My whole body hurt, "Push Honey, Push!" The nurse encouraged me. "Come on, mommy. You can do it! Your baby is counting on you!" 

I screamed from the pain, "You're doing great sweetie, keep pushing!" I pushed again, sweat dripping down my face. 

 With one final push, my baby cried, I sighed in relief and began to cry. "Good job Eomma (Mom) you have a son." The nurse congratulated me cutting the umbilical cord herself. 

She brought my baby to my chest, it cooed softly as she cleaned him. 

"Hi boy," I said softly, "You're so beautiful," I smiled, a tear running down my face and kissed his forehead. The nurse smiled, "You're a strong woman, you know. Many girls here wouldn't even think of keeping a baby so young. I wish you the best, fighting!" 

She took him to measure him and weigh him, "You have a very healthy boy, 20 inches 8 pounds" She said, writing it down on a chart. 

"Do you have a name for him?" She picked him up and began to wrap him in a blanket. 

"Etu." I said softly. He cooed, hearing the name.

"Look how happy he is, he must like it. but, Etu? That's unique." She gave him to me as I sat up to hold him.

"Yeah, Etu. It means sun, he's my sunshine." I smiled looking at my baby, he smiled back at me, his eyes closing shut. I giggled.

"The doctor will come in with the birth certificate tomorrow and you can fill out everything then, for now rest with your baby." He began to cry. 

"What wrong?" I said looking at her. She chuckled, "He's hungry," 

I looked at her confused, She smiled shaking her head. 

"Here," She picked up my baby, "Reveal your breast, it's okay. it's only me in here," I pushed aside the robe, she brought him to my breast and he began to suck. "Ow." I groaned softly, 

"I know, your body is sore right now honey, but this will help your baby in the future, okay?" I nodded and winced in pain. 

"How do I know he's full?" 

"You'll just know, he'll slowly stop." She bowed, "I'll be going then, i'll be right outside if you need anything."

I nodded, "Thank you." 

She smiled warmly and closed the door as she left. 

He cooed softly, letting me know he was done. I removed him and held him, rocking him slowly. I hummed a song HE used to sing me when I was sad. Etu's eyes began to shut, letting himself fall into the lullaby. 

"You look just like your Dad," I whispered, "How much I wish he was here to share this moment with you, my baby." A tear rushed down my cheek. He shuffled a little in my arms. "I'm so sorry for not giving you a father that loves you, holds you and kisses you every day. I'm so sorry for not giving you a father that's going to take you to your practices, maybe dance like him, or a sport of any kind. I'm sorry for not giving you the opportunity to celebrate father's day." My voice shook. "But, I did give you a mother who's going to work hard to give you everything you deserve, a mother who's never going to let anyone take you away from me, a mother who will love you, hold you and kiss you every day. A mother who will take you to your practices, no matter what it will be, I will be that mother for you. The one who will stick by your side no matter what you become in the future. I will be the mother to take a bullet for you if need be, I love you so much my baby..." I kissed his forehead as I sobbed quietly.