Prologue

PLEASE READ CAPITALS AT BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE! IT WON'T MAKE SENSE OTHERWISE!

Ok, so this is the first attempt at a vampire book I've ever made! Yay! I know it's not the best vampire story ever written and it's mostly just a try-out, if people really like it then I might continue with it :) so thanks for anyone who reads, fans, comments... and I apologise in advance for any errors etc, this is the unedited version so I'll go back over it :) I promise loads of surpises as it gets deeper into the story...I kind of wait until I get thirty something reads and a couple of votes/comments before I upload the next chapter, just to see if people enjoy it or not :)

THE PROLOGUE IS AN EXTRACT FROM ONE OF THE LATER CHAPTERS.

Sorry for the long message...enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 "You can't hunt here, Hale." I kept my voice calm. You had to be careful with Halem. "Someone will notice."

"They need fresh blood." He kept his face blank, but the faces of the Clan lit up with Thirst.

I knew what he was doing. Restoring the Clan's faith in him while awakening their appetite for blood: what they could have once the Halves were gone. It was too dangerous for them to even go outside right now.

"Hale." I looked at him. "You know you can't do that."

His eyes hardened. Exhaling slowly, he slammed the door of the basement. "Is that an order?"

"I don't give orders." I let my voice drop a bit, keeping eye contact. "But I'll give you advice. Don't do anything stupid, or we'll all suffer for it."

There was a quiet intake of breath from an astonished Clan. Hale regarded me in interest, then reached into his coat and withdrew a stake. I looked at it calmly, then back at him, not surprised.

"So it's come to this, then?"

"You're too clever." Hale said softly. "And there can't be anyone who can out-think me, even if they were on my side."

"This was a test." The realisation stung.

"Yes." His voice was low. "And you failed."