Chapter 31

Dante ~#~

Where the hell is he? What's taking so long?

I felt like pacing back and forth in front of my desk, but it seemed too cliche, so I sat in my desk chair and tapped a finger furiously on the table instead. Daniel wasn't the problem as such, but his method of just releasing the new Dimitri rang alarm bells. I knew I should've sent a scout out to keep an eye on him.

What if he never came back? What if he killed Mai instead? Then I'd never find out how she fried everyone in Hale's attic. Why the hell Halem hadn't told me everything was beyond me, surely he could seperated the trustworthy from the others? Obviously not, seeing as the old Dimitri ultimatley got him killed for his troubles.

The rhythem of knuckles on my door interrupted the tapping of my forefinger on the wood. I sighed, sat back in my chair, and called out an exhasperated: "Enter!"

Speak of the devil. Daniel came backing into the room, pushing the door open with his shoulder, cradling an unconscious Eve in his arms.

"Daniel, what the hell do you think you're doing?" I stood up, lying both palms flat on the wood. It felt cool against my fingers, even colder than my own skin. "You can't bring her up here." I paused. "Did you carry her all the way up the stairs?"

Daniel shrugged and pushed the door closed behind him with his foot. "We've got a bit of a problem, Dante."

"Well I can see that." I manouvered around my desk and walked over to him, pulling back one of her eyelids. She didn't respond. "If you've taken the trouble to carry her up three flights of stairs there must be. Care to fill me in?"

There was blood dribbling down her arms and neck from where we'd been letting it. The Book of Text called for dead blood to be spilled in order to keep the walking double up and about, and a hell of a lot of it to be spilled at that. I sighed as the steady trickle that had been gathering on her palm shifted and dropped a series of splotches off the end of her finger, splattering on the floor. 

"Daniel." I exhaled, pinching the bridge of my nose. "What is it?"

"I think we took a bit too much." Daniel shifted her weight so he was holding her in one arm, and picked up one of her floppy hands.

"Are you even serious? Look. She can't bleed out for God's sake, she's already dead."

"And because her heart has stopped she can't make any more blood." Daniel shrugged. "We don't give her injuries any time to heal and she hasn't fed in a week." He paused, dropping her arm and brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes. "I think we've finished her off. Close enough, anyway."

"Well she's not ash yet." I picked up a limp arm and laid it across her chest, out of the way. "Take her downstairs and give her some blood. That should wake her up. Then when the sun sets stick her back outside, okay? That should sort things out." I studied her thoughtfully. "She's probably just passed out." 

I wonder what would happen if Lisa found out about what's happened to her twin.

Kill me, probably.

I answered my own question.

Daniel sighed and gave me a tired nod. I opened the door for him as he walked past, and closed it at his back, eyeing the splotches of Eve's blood lying on the floorboards. At least with a vampire it was easier to tell if they were dead or not. With a human it was all pulse, heartbeat, et cetera. With a vampire, it was Ash, or alive.

Mai ~#~

I was vaguely aware of the fact I was screaming. My skin was burning, I could feel it, as it was so painful and horrible that I couldn't help but shout.