Chapter 4

Mai ~#~

"No." I growled forcefully. It was the first time I'd ever disobeyed Hale, and I didn't want to make a habit out of it, but this time I was putting my foot down. "No way in hell."

"The decision is final." Hale replied coldly.

"The decision is not final!" I shouted, bringing both my hands, palms down, onto the table. It stung, but I didn't care. "You're not sending Cappa into that bloodbath!"

Hale glared at me for a moment, then sunk down into his chair. Pressing his hands together, he sighed. "I regret it too." He explained. "But Cappa is the only one I can trust to take care of things while I'm here."

"But what about Dana?" I cried. "Or Wes? They're both strong, you can trust them."

"And they were both there with Imogen when Darrel got ashed." Halem said simply.  "I need to make sure you're safe, and Cappa needs to control things back Home."

I breathed out in frustration. "What did Cappa say?"

"That he'd do it."

"Did you give him a choice?"

Halem paused. "Yes." He said carefully.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "It was just yesterday you told him to keep an eye on me."

"And since then Fred has torn Wes to pieces." Hale retorted. "Cappa is needed more back there."

I stood back, trying to calm myself. "Where is he?"

He frowned, but told me anyway. "You're not going to convince him out of it." He growled malevolently as I was leaving. "It's to protect you. One day those useless excuses for vampires will protect you. Fight for you. We need as many of them as we can get."

I didn't reply as I tore out of his office and leapt out of the nearest deserted window. I rounded the school, hate making me reckless, and almost got caught when I began to climb the pipe to Cappie's dorm. Hale had been careful to put us both in rooms with drain pipes outside our windows, for hunting purposes. When I reached the top, Cappa had shut the window.

I slammed my fist against it, and watched as he looked up warily. "Let me in, you traitor!" I yelled, seeing him approach.

"If I let you in, are you going to rip me apart?" He called through the glass.

"I'm going to tear you're useless head off!" I shouted, rattling the window pane.

He began to retreat, but I gave up and stopped trying to break in.

"Alright, alright!" I called. "I won't do anything. Can you just open this damned window before I fall and break my neck."

He slid the bolt across and pulled it up. In seconds, I was through it and glaring at him.

"When were you planning on telling me?" I hissed. "They're going to ash you! They'll kill you!"

"Halem chose me because he thought I was strong enough." Cappie replied calmly.  How could he be so calm in a situation like this?! "I trust his judgement."

"He chose you because you and me are the only ones who aren't planning on revolution." I snapped. "And seeing as I'm so special and the all new ultimate vampire you're the only candidate!"

He rolled his eyes. "Nonetheless, I'm still going Mai. It's to protect you."

"I need you here to protect me!"

"Hale can look after you."

"Hale." I spat. "Hale can't even look after himself."

He raised his eyebrows. "Uh-huh?"