Chapter 32

Joanna ~#~

"You know how to kill him?"

I was shocked this came now. Of all the things I'd been expecting to hear, this one came in last.

"Yes."

"I hope your method is a certain as you sound."

"Think about it. Dimitri has been burnt and stabbed with a knife, but has anyone actually tried staking him properly? No. I'm certain..." He licked his fingers and leafed a few pages back through the book, turned it round, and planted it on my desk. "You kill him the second time the way he died the first. He got staked and died, right? So it stands to reason that staking him now would kill him again."

I stood up, pushing my chair back. "How did you find this out?"

He tapped a finger on the pafge of the book and opened his mouth to explain. Before he got the chance though, a furious looking, ash covered Cappa threw open the door to my office. He was smothered with smears of grey and black, his feathery hair coated in it, and he looked ready to explode.

"Joanna-!"

"Woah." Robert cut him off. "Stop. You need to hear this."

Dante ~#~

The sun was burning hot outside. The heat of it filtered through the black blinds I had hung at my windows. I'm sure to a human they would've been breaking a sweat by now, by I felt nothing but a pleasent fireside sensation. Human heat and the heat of the sun, it all added up. To me though, it was like being a cold-blooded animal. It warmed me up, made it easier to move. Of course the heat without the light didn't hurt me at all.

"Dante." Daniel pushed open the door without knocking, catching me off-guard.

I cleared my throat and quickly stood up, away from the warm fabric I'd been leaning on, feeling embarassed. His shirt was still spattered with Eve's blood, but his hair was ruffled now as well, like he'd been running his hands throught it. Luckily though, he didn't say anything. 

I sighed. "What do you want Daniel? I told you never to come in without knocking."

"We've got a problem."

"Another one?" I raised an eyebrow. "Two in two days, that's gotta be a record. What is it this time? Has Eve tried to bite you again?" I chuckled, but his unlaughing eyes silenced me. "Alright." I gave up. "What is it?"

Daniel squared himself. "Dimitri's come back."

"Huh?" I looked up eagerly. "Seriously? That's great! Has he got Mai?"

"We've had to lock him in a store cupboard."

I frowned. "What? Why?"

"He doesn't have Mai, Dante." Daniel eyed me seriously. "In fact he was looking for you. We caught him sneaking around the stairs by chance. He's..." He paused. "In pretty bad shape."

"Bad shape? How do you mean?"

"Well for one, he's obviously been torched pretty bad, although it's already starting to heal. He was in a real mess."

"Torched?" I scoffed in disbelief. "He got torched? Mai certainly put up more of a fight than we anticipated. And if he hasn't brought her here..." I paused. "You don't think he...?"

Daniel looked passive. "I don't know."

"Dammit!" I marched out from behind my desk. "Right, where is he? I need to talk to him."

"In Storage 4."

"Storage 4?" I groaned in frustration. "Who the hell put him in there? There's pints of animal blood in there!"