Chapter 9

Mai ~#~

Malakye appeared at the front door, glaring in suspicion at the battered car that had pulled up in his driveway. I saw the holes in his arm where his brother had turned him, and he covered them up quickly when he saw me looking, rollling down his sleeve.

"Kye!" Called Sav from the back, struggling with the lock on the door. "You have child locks on this thing, Cappa?!" 

"Sorry." Cappa flicked a switch in the front and the door flew open, almost sending Savius toppling into the drifts that had mounted on either side of the driveway.

"Asshole." Muttered Sav as he climbed out of the car, kicking up mounds of snow. 

Cappa narrowed his eyes, but didn't say anything. Malakye seemed to relax when he saw his brother come stomping through the snow, although he remained wary of me and Cappa as we regarded him with interest.

"It's fine, they're with me." Sav stopped in front of him.

"Hey bro...." Malakye glanced over his shoulder. "What an...unexpected surprise."

"Look I'm sorry to arrive like this without calling first but you're not really safe here. You need to come with us."

"Woah, hold up." Kye stepped fully out of the doorway and onto the porch, shutting the door behind him. "Why aren't I safe? Has something gone wrong with the...you know...?"

"Not if you're still alive." Sav seized his brother's arm and rolled up his sleeve. "Nah, you're fine. It's healing already. Is Liz home?"

"No, she's out shopping." Kye glanced at me. "Is that the girl you were telling me about?"

"Yeah, shut up Kye." Sav waved us over sheepishly and we trudged towards them, me glowering at Savius and Cappa looking like he was about to kill him. "Listen, go upstairs and pack a bag, yeah?" Savius was talking to Kye again. "Nothing big, just your essentials, and a few extra things for me, got it?"

"What the hell is happening?" His brother had his arms crossed. "Why?"

"Nothing will be happening soon." Sav growled. "Because we'll all be dead if you don't go and pack a damned bag."

Malakye glared at him for a moment. Then he kicked the door open behind him and swung round, stomping up a flight of red-carpeted stairs. We followed him in, Cappa, Sav and me, and I shut the door behind me as I turned into the living room.

Kye ~#~

It wasn't exactly how I had been planning to spend my Saturday. Liz was out shopping and it was just me, the Xbox, and a bottle of blood Sav had given me a few days ago. The idea of drinking blood had disgusted me, but when it was the only thing that cured the burn in my throat, I found it difficult not to down the lot.

"Hurry up!" Called Savius from the bottom of the stairs.

I lugged my rugby bag off the top of my wardrobe and dropped it on the bed, then piled my clothes into the bottom and rushed round to the bathroom to collect my stuff. I paused, then grabbed the spare packet of toothbrushes Liz kept in the cupboard, for Mai and the other guy she'd arrived with. When I'd eventually packed everything I needed, I heaved the bag back down the stairs, dumping it next to the front door.

"Ready?" The guy was leant against the doorframe into the living room.

"Yeah."

"Has Sav told you who I am?"

"No."

"Cappa." He nodded in Mai's direction. "And you already know who that is."

"Sav's told me a lot about her."

"I bet he has." He said coldly. "If we're all ready we should be going. We're not safe here."

Sav got up off the sofa in the living room and screwed the cap back on a bottle of blood he'd taken from the fridge. Twisting round, he added it to his backpack and zipped it up, coming to join me in the doorway.

"Is anyone going to tell me what's going on?" I raised my eyebrows.

"On the way." Mai had opened the front door. "Right now we gotta go."

"The blood from the fridge-"

"Is in the pack." Sav motioned with his thumb. "Lets go."

Mai ~#~

We explained the situation to Sav's brother as we pulled out of his drive and turned onto the main road. I cracked open a bottle of blood when I thought nobody was looking, and gave a sneaky gulp to Cappa when he was driving. We were all thirsty, but we had to limit our supplies. None of us knew the next time we'd come across blood.

"So let me get this straight." Kye was talking in the back. "Mai is some kind of vampire weapon that Halem is using to destroy these Halves, he's recruiting an army that will supposedly keep Mai alive long enough to do what it is he needs her to do, and we're running away because he and his crazy allies are preparing for attack."

"Sounds good."

"This is messed up." Kye shook his head in disbelief. "What's Liz gonna say when she gets home and I'm not there?"

"Who's Liz?" I asked, trying my best to hide the bottle when Sav leant forward.

"Our step-mother." He scoffed. "Or Guardian. What the hell is that?" He added, pointing to the bottle.

I looked down guiltily. "Sorry Kye." I muttered, then sighed heavily when Sav snatched it out of my hands.

"Shameless." Sav scolded, then tipped his head back and poured a whole load down his throat.

"Sav!" Cappa growled. "We're meant to be saving it."

"Sorry mother." He mocked, then passed the nearly empty glass to his brother, who took it meekly. 

He downed it then chucked the empty bottle out of the broken window. He frowned at the shattered glass, then looked over to his brother, who still had fragments of it in his hair.

"Did you...?"

"Quick escape." Sav didn't even look at him. "Not that I normally have respect for other people's things, right Mother?"

Cappa glared at him through the wing-mirror. "Just keep watch." He growled. "I don't want my car getting attacked again."