chapter one

Hunting for my mate

Chapter one:

Skylar’s POV

18, I’m 18 years old and I still haven’t found my mate. Still!

In case you didn’t know I’m Skylar Port and I am 18 years old and I still haven’t found my mate; not a spark of touch or even a catch of scent. I am a werewolf but I have alpha blood so my first shift wasn’t until after my sixteenth birthday and I have a dark red fur coat. I am your decent 5 foot 6 height and luckily am not even close to the shortest in the pack. I have dark red hair color but not the red you see in rainbows and I have hazel eyes with a hint of red in the irises that shift color from dark brown to hazel to green and even to blue! Mostly they stay a hazel color but the change is due to mood changes which is cool but can be a pain in the butt depending on the emotion. I am in the full moon pack which is the biggest of our neighboring packs – dark sky, moon-light, and blue moon pack.

Our pack is quite quiet. We do not try to start wars or hunt other packs down, we chose to be a neutral zone but that doesn’t mean we’re harmless. If a rouge crosses our land, even if a pack crosses without reason or a treaty to ensure safeness and wellbeing of both packs two words that would under most circumstances fit is... You’re dead. In a way our pack is a neutral and war pack; we try to stay out of chaos and violence but if there is no way of doing so, we fight, no questions asked.

At the moment I am just sitting on the couch in the pack house, eating cereal and watching the Saturday morning TV shows that happen to be on. Being Saturday everyone is still asleep considering it is 7:38 and Saturday is the day when no one has to be up until 1. Don’t get me wrong I am not an early bird one so ever but today I am having the hardest time sleeping considering my wolf will no shut up about how depressed she is about the two and a half years with no mate thing and to be honest saying it is annoying would be an understatement. I however, am not depressed or sad about the whole mate situation because I am not sure if I want one, not that I am rejecting him or anything but I have never been in love and I don’t know if it is something to embrace or run away from.

It is now 8:30 and I think I have had enough SpongeBob Squarepants for one day. I decided I’ll take a run in the woods because the last thing I want to do right now is sit on a couch for four and a half hours. I walk upstairs quietly making sure not to wake anyone up. Once I am in my room I look around at my queen sized bed two nightstands a dresser closet and a bathroom all attached in my room. Grabbing some nike green and purple shorts with a loose v neck shirt and a matching purple sports bra. Heading in the shower I wash my hair with my orange shampoo and conditioner with a berry body scrub. Washing all the products off my hair and body I wrap a towel around myself and blow dry my hair until it is lightly damp. I make two French braids and lightly spray my hair with some hair spray I change and head downstairs again. Knowing I will just end up changing into wolf form I decide not to take any shoes and head outside in my bear feet.

Soon I start to jog into the forest and notice how there is still some night patrol guards around the house and most likely at the edges of our territory. I start of stretching when I got to the woods and into a large clearing where my friends and I like to hang out when were not busy. When you go north-west of the clearing about two hundred feet there is a fresh water lake that everyone in the pack uses on hot summer days or just when we need a break from life. Once I go behind my favorite tree to change I then hear some sticks snap and a large and rough growl that can easily be identified as rouges that have trespassed on our pack territory.

A sodden thought erupted in my brain as I remember that my friend Jake, Lewis, and Mark were all on night patrol duty near this area. Before I contacted them through our pack mind link I leaned over to where the noise was coming from but staying in my human form in case of and misconceptions or the fact that whoever it is might see me butt naked before I can shift into wolf form while keeping my clothes from being torn to pieces.