Chapter 6- It Can Only Get Better

I walked around and looked at the familiar home that hasn't changed much. I walked upstairs to the room that used to be mine.

I look around and see that everything is exactly the way it was before I left. I stood in the doorway, looking at the room, until someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"I never thought I would be able to live with myself if I changed this room or put anything out of place.", my dad said as he placed his chin on my shoulder.

"Wow, I mean, wow!", I couldn't believe he didn't touch this room or anything in it.

"I couldn't find it in my heart to do it."

"Thats nice." I stood there and looked at the room, breathing in the familiar smell. My dad just stood behind me and smiled. I was about to ask him a question I treaded since the day I had to leave.

"Why did you not want to take me in?", I asked him though I was still facing the room.

"Honey, you know I couldn't do that to your mom.", he said with sympathy as clear as day in his voice.

"You guys could have days where each of you can see me."

"We considered that but it would be too much pressure, you know with you guys going to school and Kaleb being born not long after. I mean she had Kaleb up until he was two so she still had a chance to be with all three of her children."

"Why did you guys split up anyway?"

"Let's go talk in the living room." He motioned for me to follow him and I did. When we made it downstairs he sat on the couch as I sat on the chair not far from him.

"Your mom and I were best friends before we even thought about being anything more. When we got married, she got pregnant not long after. That was a moment I could never forget, and when she had you and Kyle, it was beautiful."

"I had a family business that had been passed on for generations and at the time that you guys were young, I could be here to help her take care of you guys."

As you guys got older, the business started to take off and I went on business trips and stayed long hours- obviously she didn't like it, but it paid the bills."

"After a while it got to the point where she could no longer tolerate it and she thought we should split up. I never thought it would be for this long, I just thought it would be a couple of weeks and we would eventually meet up and get back together."

"That didn't happen and when she became a nurse I knew she was too busy to even think about me. I just gave up."

"Wow, dad I'm so sorry and she actually talks about you all the time and she always says 'I wonder what your dad's doing now'."

"Yea I say the same thing to the boys."

"You guys still have the chemistry."

"That doesn't even matter, anyway. You hungry?"

"Sure." He got up and went into the kitchen as Alex came down the steps and wrapped his arms around me from behind me. I touched his arms as confusion was clear on my face.

"What is that for?", he came around to sit on the arm of the chair.

"Today. You've been going through a lot and I thought you needed it."

"Thanks."

He was about to respond when my dad cleared his throat. Alex felt that was his que to leave and went back upstairs not leaving before he gave me a wink and I giggled.

My dad went back into the kitchen and I followed. I went to the island, standing by him.

"You like him.", he briefly looked over at me before turning back to the food.