Twelve

After my first meeting with Jade, I've been in the chamber for about two weeks. Each day was pretty much the same, they gave us an apple every other day; only because they didn't want people to think they starved us.

Two weeks and my hair was already thinning, my ribs starting to peek out and show. But nothing compared to Jade. Jade's complexion was pale, very milky white in color. She looked as if she were a walking ghost. I'm guessing if she were a normal human, then she would have already died.

"Today's the day," I murmured to myself, watching Jade cough slightly and moan from the aching pain in her throat.

Jade looked to me, her green eyes flashed a playful look. "Em, an apple a day keeps death away." She chuckled humorously, laying her head back against the wall. I couldn't help but chuckle slightly at Jades attempt of a joke. That's what the attendant of our cell told us each time he handed us our bruised apples.

Each time he came I always tried to get a little information out of him, apparently I was his favorite over Jade. He finally told me that my horse was fine and stayed in a makeshift stall near the Pack Doctor. He also told me the packs were having a disagreement over something that he didn't know about. Apparently it was getting serious now.

Today though, I had a plan. The clanking of the door brought my weary eyes to attention, my breath faltering slightly. "Bruised apples." I muttered lowly, but loud enough for Jade to look at me and drop her jaw. She nodded her head and slumped against the wall, holding her hand over her stomach and scrunching her forehead. "Help!" I wailed out, my voice cracking and echoing through the eery room. The jingling of the keys hurried and a man busted through, his eyes in alarm.

"What's going on?" He asked sternly, trying to remain calm, but his eyes showed panic. "She's having a baby!" I screamed and pushed him towards Jade, hearing her start to wail and scream out in pain. She was tilted at an angle, her arms covering her stomach.

The man stopped and ran a hand through his hair. "Uhm I'll just, uh. Go get the Pack Doctor?" He asked, leaning forward to get a closer look at Jade's stomach. He leaned forward and then frowned, "Wait a minute, she isn't even fa-"

Then he dropped to the floor, blood slightly oozing from his head into the cool, dirty floor. "Let's get going, Jade!" I said quickly, dropping the rusty piece of pipe that I had pulled off of the wall. Blood dripped off of it and splattered onto my dirty shoes as I pulled Jade up, rushing towards the door as quick as we could.

She shushed me as we walked up the steps, it was dark outside luckily, so maybe there wouldn't be as many pack members out. Once we reached the top, I sighed happily seeing no one around. Jade, although weak, was on high alert. She started to pull me towards the woods, escape high on her mind. "I'm not leaving Ryder!" I muttered sternly, the words fiercely showing that there was no room for discussion. She sighed and followed me, leaning against the building while we searched for the Pack Doctors office, apparently where Ryder was being held.

"Ryder?" I murmured, listening for any sounds that indicated he was around. "Ryder?" I whispered loudly, leaning forward to walk towards a different building. Jade pulled me back, shaking her head at me. "You have to be smarter then that! We just escaped, do you want to get captured?" She groaned and shushed me once again, pushing me behind her to indicate me to follow her. She leaned against the building, her hands pressing against the cool brick, it was eerily quiet out here. Which was odd for a camp. I shrugged slightly and followed her orders, following her silently. Each step I took I was careful to not make a sound.

A faint whinny sounded throughout the camp, making my heart leap. "That's him!" I smiled and took off at a fast jog through the middle of the camp. "Emmilyn!" Jades voice called, hurrying after me.

I spotted the dark horse, making my heart skip a beat. "Hey boy, I missed you." I whispered as I leaned over and unlocked the gate, petting him on the head and planting a kiss to his muzzle. He nickered softly, shaking his mane. He looked almost as bad as Jade and I did. Whip marks and scars tainted his once healthy coat. Now he was a murky brown color, cuts becoming scars across his chest and rump.

A low growl emitted from my chest, anger flaring up inside of me. "Those assholes!" I growled again, my body beginning to shake.  Jade slowly walked up, setting a hand on my shoulder. "Calm down, it's fi-" then she shrieked, her whole body trembling. She began stuttering slightly, her eyes widening. "St-st-stop!" She cried, tears falling down her cheeks.

I frowned, jumping away from her in fear. "What's wrong with her?" I shouted, asking myself more then anyone. She slowly slumped to the ground, not shaking anymore. Jade looked up, her eyes fearful as she looked at me.

"What are you?"

Authors Note

Hey guys, I'm back! I've had so much going on lately I've had a really hard time finding time to write, hence the short chapter. I really hope you guys don't loose hope on this book, I'm going to be updating as soon as I can.

Also, I'm following a Just Write It. Technically it means I'm writing these chapters quickly and fluently to get them out faster. At the end of the book I will edit it for everything to be correct.

Love you all!

-Pres