Chapter 7

Dan's POV

Phil had been absent for the past 2 weeks and I was getting worried. We had never gone to his house before so I don't know where to look. Wait...you spork. You do know.

I remembered when Phil ran out his house and bumped into me. I checked the clock and there was still 40 minutes left in Mr. Lockton's class. Mr. Lockton was even worse with me now since

I have missed five tutoring sessions with Phil. I began tapping my feet and grew anxious. I couldn't wait for class to end...I couldn't. Without thinking it through I slid my books into my backpack and rushed out of class.

"Howell!" I heard Mr. Lockton yell my name but I began to run to the gate without looking back at him.

I was really worried about Phil. I was walking the same direction I usually walked to school until I recognized Phil's house.

Without hesitation I walked up the stairs and knocked repeatedly. After getting no answer I began to ring the doorbell until I finally heard a sound of life inside.

I heard a muffled groaned and heavy footsteps neared the door. The door swung open and a man around my height, but a bit taller, stared down at me with a glare.

He was a bigger man and was in boxer shots with a stained white t shirt on. His eyes were red and I could smell cigarettes on him.

"Whatcha want I'm busy." His voice was slurred and I could also smell the alcohol in his breath. Is this Phil's dad? The one that abused his mother? I cleared my throat and stared at the man.

I was suddenly filled with anger as I remembered all the things Phil told me about him. "I'm here to see Phil." He looked me up and down and moved out of the way. "Up the stairs to your left."

He walked away leaving me at the door. I slowly walked in and looked around. The place was a mess.

Junk food and trash was laying around the room. There were broken beer bottles laying around and loose cigarettes on the floor. I never imagined Phil living like this.

I made my way up the stairs and paused in front of Phil's room. I knocked but got no response. Is this the right room? I turned the knob and found that it was unlocked.

I slowly opened the door and found Phil with his head against the head board of his bed listening to music with his earphones on.

I could hear the music playing from the earphones. His room was practically the same as downstairs. There was an old pizza box laying on his desk and his trash was over flowing with tissues.

He had pictures of him and Evan laying on the bed and on the floor. There was a board laying on the floor which I assumed once held all the pictures that were now spread everywhere.

Posters were torn and some were completely off the wall. His clothes were sprawled across the floor.

I could hear Phil humming along to the song blasting in his ears as a tear rolled down his cheek.

My heart sunk at the sight. He didn't deserve this. Poor Phil. I left my backpack on the floor and approached him. I tapped him gently on the shoulder and he jumped.

He pulled his earphones out and stared at me wide eyed. His eyes were red and puffy from crying so much.

He had dark circles under his eyes that I assumed was from all the time he spent crying instead of sleeping. He just stared at me as if he didn't believe I was really there.

Suddenly he threw his arms around me and hugged me tightly. I instantly wrapped my arms around him. He moved his head into the crook of my neck and I rested my chin on his head. "Dan."