No More Loneliness

"Damn it," he muttered.
     "Tom," Irene said feeling like there was no air in the room, "What is that?"
     Tom turned the lights out and they left Caroline's room.
     "Irene, I'm thirty-three. I've fallen for you and I don't want to waste anymore of my life being alone. I love you, Irene Kennedy, with all of my heart," he said kneeling, "Will you marry me?"
      Irene began to cry as she nodded her head. He picked her up and swung her around, "Tom," she said stopping him, "Please tell me you asked my father's permission."
     "Of course I did." Irene smiled at him and then kissed him, "Would you like your ring?"
     "Yes!" she exclaimed as he pulled a beautiful diamond ring out of the box. It was a white gold band with diamonds on the band and one large diamond in the center. He slid it onto her finger and it fit perfectly. "Oh, Tom," she said breathless.
     "You're mother helped me."
     "Of course she did! It's just what I've dreamed of my whole life!"
     She kissed him again and they walked downstairs to the living room. "Tom, you know something that you've never mentioned and I've never asked?"
     "What's that?"
     "Your family situation. I practically know everything about you except I don't know anything about your family."
    "It's complicated."
    "Why?"
    "Promise you'll still marry me?"
    "I promise, but it can't be that bad."
    "When I was only six, my father and mother were murdered. That's why I became a lawyer and then a politician."
     "Oh, Tom, I'm sorry."
     "I have a sister, but she's a hippie."
     "See, it's not that bad. You're not a hippie and your family isn't that complicated."
     "You really don't think it's that bad?"
     "Have you met my family? Yours is pretty normal, but I am sorry to hear about your parents."
     "It was a long time ago. Besides, I have you now so I won't be alone."
    Just then they heard the door click shut, "We're in here!" Irene called.
    Jackie ran in, "Oh my God! It happened. Jack, our girl's getting married!"
    Jack smiled, "She is and she's marrying a great man." Jack shook Tom's hand.
     Jackie sat down next to Irene and kissed her cheek, "Congratulations, kiddo."
     "Thanks, Mom."
      The family sat for a little while longer excitedly discussing the upcoming wedding. Afterwards, Irene went to bed and while she laying in bed thinking, she rubbed her fingered over her engagement ring unable to believe that she had found love.