Perfect

Tom drove away leaving Irene standing outside of her home. She walked back inside and sat at the kitchen table alone since everyone was still asleep. Irene sipped at a cup of coffee while she read the newspapers' reports on her father. A little while later, Jack came downstairs, "Good morning," he said coming behind her and kissing her cheek.
"Good morning, Mr. President."
"Are you still stunned?"
"Completely. Last night was incredible. Did Tom tell you?" he asked sitting down.
"He did," Irene replied standing and going to get her father a cup of coffee, "That's so very sweet of you."
"Well, I need my daughter around."
Irene grinned, "So Thanksgiving?"
"Thanksgiving."
"Gram and Pops are going away. The only ones that will be here will be us, Uncle Teddy, Aunt Joansie, and all of Uncle Bobby's family. So I'm cooking dinner."
"Do you want help?"
"I'd love your help, Daddy," Irene joked.
"In your dreams, kiddo," Jack laughed, "I meant do you want Ethie's or Joansie's help?"
"If they want to help me, sure. If they can't, it's not a problem."
"Are we having it at the main house?"
"Yes, because it's bigger. They'll be nine kids and seven adults. I suppose Mom won't be coming."
"Nope. I'd really doubt she will."
"Alright, well, I have to get my supplies later."
Jack nodded and the two of them sat sipping coffee. "Well, I'm off to the grocery store. I suppose Caroline will want to go."
"Probably. I'll see you later, kiddo."
Irene dressed in a tan turtleneck with a black pair of tailored pants. She woke Caroline up and got her breakfast. Afterward, they went to the grocery store to get some of the things Irene needed for Thanksgiving dinner. When they got home, it was late in the afternoon and Jack had decided they were going to get pizza. "What does Mom want to eat?"
"I already took her up a sandwich and some fruit."
The three of them left for dinner. When they got home, Irene went upstairs and laid in bed with Jackie, "How are you feeling?"
"I'm exhausted and I don't know how that's possible."
"I'm sorry, Mom."
The two of them sat talking for awhile until Jackie fell asleep.
The next few weeks went by quickly and soon it was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Ethel, Joan, Teddy, Bobby, Tom, and all of kids were staying in the main house while Jack stayed with Jackie. The women stayed up late starting preparations for the meal and then woke up early the next morning to get ready for the big dinner. When everyone finally sat down to dinner, the telephone rang. Irene went to answer it, "Irene, it's Dad. Can you come to the house? I'm taking your mother to the hospital."
"I'll be right there."
Irene ran back into the dining room, "Dad's taking Mom to the hospital and he wants me to go with them."
Tom jumped out of his seat, "Well, I can come with you."'
"We'll take care of Caroline," Aunt Joansie said bouncing Kara on her lap.
Tom and Irene nearly ran back to the house and when they arrived, Jackie and Jack were already in the car. Tom and Irene quickly crawled in the back seat. The ride to the hospital was mostly silent other than the occasional moan from Jackie. When they arrived at the hospital, Jack and Irene ran into to get a wheel chair and then took Jackie in while Tom parked the car. "Irene," Jackie said grabbing her hand, "I'd like you to stay with me."
"Sure. I'll stay with you.
Tom and Jack sat in the expectant fathers' waiting room while Irene stayed with Jackie. Early Friday morning, Irene, dressed in scrubs, carried a blue bundle out of the delivery room, "Dad, I'd like you to meet your son."
Jack stood and took his son into his arms, "Hi there, buddy."
Tom hugged Irene, "I don't know why after seeing what I just saw, but I want one."
"I want one too," Tom whispered, "We can have our own very soon."
Irene and Tom watched as Jack admired his son. Jack looked up at Irene, "How's Mom?"
"She's doing really well. You'll be able to see her shortly."
"He's perfect, Irene."
"He is."