Bonds

In the days to follow Caroline's birth, Jack and Irene bonded as they made the trips to and from the hospital. After a few days, Jackie and Caroline were allowed home.
        Irene carried her tiny sister into the house, "Here we are. I guess both of us are pretty new around here," Irene said sweetly.
       Jack smiled at Jackie, "Ah, Irene, we need to talk. Why don't you give Jack- I mean mum the baby?"
     "Sure," Irene smiled. She gently placed Caroline into Jackie's arms and then followed Jack into the sitting room.
      "Irene, I'm the senator of Massachusetts. Did you know that?"
      Irene shook her head with a hand cupped over her mouth.
      "So, we have to let you meet my family and then we have to introduce you to the press. Can you handle all of that?"
      "I'll do anything for you and mum."
      Jack felt hot tears beading in his eyes as he hugged Irene, "I have the best daughters. I think it'll be best if just you and I go sort this out tonight with my family, okay?"
     "Absolutely, mum needs to rest."
     Irene fell asleep in the couch that day and then got ready to go meet her grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. She fixed her naturally curly hair and wore a dress that Jackie had let her borrow. It was a small-waisted floral print dress. She then wore a pair of white kitten heels that Jackie had also let her borrow. "Nice, that we're the same size, isn't it?" Jackie smiled as she helped her dress.
      "Thank you for everything. I'm a little nervous."
      "With good reason," Jackie sighed, "I'd go with you, but-"
      "There's no need for an explanation, mum. I have to face them sometime."
      "That's true, sweetie. Good luck, but you won't need it. You're a charmer just like your father."