Falling Apart

The moment they arrived at the hospital Jack jumped out of the car wincing as he did. "Dad, easy. You're back's going to be killing you later," Irene warned.
"I'm fine."
Jack nearly ran into the hospital with Irene chasing after him. "Where's Mrs. Kennedy?" he asked a nurse at the front desk. The nurse pointed to the waiting room where Rose was sitting holding Caroline on her lap. Jack went over and sat down beside them. "How is she?" Irene asked breathless.
"They're running tests. I suppose you'll be able to see her shortly."
Jack held his head in his hands. Irene sat down next to him and slowly ran her hand up and down his back. "How's your back, Dad?"
"It hurts like hell," he said quietly so that his mother wouldn't hear him.
Finally, a doctor emerged into the waiting room, "Senator Kennedy?"
"Yes," Jack said getting on his feet.
"You can see Mrs. Kennedy now."
"How is she?"
"Her right wrist is sprained. We gave her a brace for that. She'll have to rest her wrist to make sure it heals."
"How's the baby?" Jack asked quietly.
"You're baby is 100% okay."
"You're sure?"
"Positive. Both mom and baby will be just fine."
Jack and Irene walked past the doctor and went into Jackie's room.
"Irene!" Jackie called from her bed.
Irene went over to her side and kissed her, "How are you feeling?"
"I'm alright. Don't worry."
Jack went to kiss her and she pushed him away, "Get the hell away from me Kennedy. You almost made me lose my baby."
"Jackie... I..."
"John, leave."
Jack looked at Irene and Irene shrugged her shoulders. She didn't know what to say or do. Jack left the room and after Irene sat for a few minutes, she went after Jack. She found him in the car crying.
"Daddy, are you alright?"
"I'm fine," he said trying to hide his tears.
"Dad, you can cry. I know you're not fine," she said settling into the passenger seat.
"Everything's falling apart," he said letting his tears fall freely, "My Addison's has been acting up, my back, the polls are down, we could've lost another baby, and now my wife wants nothing to do with me."
Irene hugged her father trying to comfort him. He was inconsolable and with good reason. Everything did seem to be falling apart.