A Box

They sat on the beach for awhile lost in their thoughts and the crashing of the waves. Finally, Tom spoke, "Let's go get something to eat."
"I know this great little place. I just need to get out of these clothes. I'm all sweaty and dirty."
"Would your parents mind terribly if I took a quick shower at the house."
"No, not at all."
They walked back to the house and after both of them had showered, they went to a seafood place. "This a lovely place," Tom said.
"Isn't it? I love this place. My favorite is the cajun seasoned fish sandwich."
"That sounds delicious. I'll try that too. Hey, I know what I said earlier might've come out of nowhere, but I did mean it."
"I meant it too, Tom," Irene smiled pushing a piece of hair out of her face.
The waitress came over and they ordered their sandwiches. After sitting awhile, their meals came. "So are you here all week?"
"I am. I talked to your dad. I'll be staying in your guest room."
"I guess I'll be seeing you pretty often then."
"You will."
After they finished their meal, they walked back to the house. When they got inside, everyone was asleep. "Let me show you to the guest room."
Tom followed Irene up the stairs and to the guest bedroom. "Goodnight, Tom."
He pulled her close and kissed her, "Night. I'll see you tomorrow."
Irene walked to her bedroom and sat on her bed reading To Kill A Mockingbird until she fell asleep with the book on her chest. The next morning she woke up and walked downstairs finding Jack and Tom drinking coffee at the kitchen table, "Good morning, sleeping beauty," Jack said.
"Morning," Tom said standing and getting her chair, "Sit down. I'll get you a cup of coffee."
Irene sat and Tom brought her a coffee mug that had her father's face on it that said, "JFK in 1960".
"Thanks, Tom," Irene kissed his cheek, "How's mom?"
"She's tired and miserable, but she's alright."
"Dad, let's take out the Honey Fitz today."
"That sounds like fun. I'll go see if Mom wants to go. If not, we'll take Caroline and see if Bobby wants to go."
"Are you up for that?" Irene asked Tom after Jack had left.
"I'm up for anything."
Jack returned, "Mom's getting ready now and we'll go.  Caroline's already ready to go."
The group spent the day out on the Honey Fitz and then that evening Irene and Tom agreed to babysit Caroline while Jack and Jackie enjoyed the evening out.
While Tom was tucking Caroline into bed, a small box fell out of his pocket.