A Visit

Over the course of the next few weeks, Tom and Irene talked on the phone and sent letters to each other. When the summer came, Irene and Jack had a break for a week. One day while Irene was playing on the beach with Caroline a man wearing khakis, a white button up, and a pair of Ray Bans came up behind her, "Hey there, stranger."
Irene nearly jumped and then saw that it was Tom. "Tom!" She shrieked with excitement.
"You look incredible."
"I haven't seen you for almost three months! I miss you!"
"I miss you too, Irene! Hello, there!" he said as Caroline crawled onto his lap.
"This is Caroline."
"She's adorable. She looks just like her sister."
Irene blushed. "Caroline, let's head back to the house. You look a little pink."
Irene carried her back to the house while Tom followed carrying the beach bag. When they got inside, Jack was sitting at the kitchen table talking to Jackie. "Well, hello there," Jack said as they walked in.
    "Hi, Jack," Tom said nodding, "Mrs. Kennedy."
    "Please call me, Jackie," Jackie smiled, "You must be the Tom I hear about."
    "It's a pleasure to meet you, Jackie," Tom said quietly.
    "Tom, why don't you go get dressed in shorts or something more comfortable and I'll show you around?"
    "That sounds like a plan," Tom said turning to get his bags out of his car.
"Have fun," Jackie smiled.
"Will do," Irene said with a smile on her face that wouldn't go away.
After Tom had changed, they went for a walk along the beach, "Look, Irene, we need to talk."
"Let's sit here and watch the waves while we talk."
They found a spot and set up their towel and umbrella. Tom sat down first and Irene sat down next to him adjusting her big round sunglasses.
"Irene," he said wrapping his arm around her, "What do you classify this as?"
"Classify what as?"
"Us. What are we?"
"Well, I know that I'm happy."
"I am too and that's all that matters," he said kissing her cheek, "Irene, I love you."
Irene felt her heart skip a beat, "I love you too, Tom."