Best Friends

Brooklyn's P.O.V

Why was he laughing? He didn't belong in a facility and he knows it. I had to hold on to him before I lost him. It felt like no one else was there for him. That hurt.

I layed back in my bed pressing my face on my pillow. I held my hands to my ears trying to block out reality. Each time my grip loosened it would come back. I couldn't take it. I didn't want the truth. Whether it be a lie or nonsense it was still better.

"I wonder what it's like at a facility?" Peter seemed to sing to himself. "That's were all the psychos are."

"Stop it!" I looked at him, tears starting to well up in my eyes.

"I'm not doing anything Brooklyn? They are! You hear them too? All around us?" He seemed to ask it all as though it were some question. "Do you know what today is?" He sang.

"A day of dread." The tears started to sting.

"Starting today, according to a nurse, you are fifteen. Just as old as me now!" He giggled. "At least according to the nurse."

"That's nice. Still a day of dread." I brushed off the migraine that started to take over.

My mind became fuzzy and I started to wish the therapist was still in here. You let this happen. Fifteen reasons to dread life. Go to hell. Go take a shower. Let's drown this monster.

"Peter!" My own words were followed by a laugh that didn't belong to myself nor Peter. His eyes softened staring back at mine.

"Are you ready for high school? Its just in a few.... Hmm, what was it?" He started thinking to himself.

I started to run things through my head. All about who I am. A huge chunk of information was missing. I only had a small sliver left. Once that sliver was gone, so was my reasoning.

"You only have three days to prove you aren't crazy." I sat up.

"Why do you care what happens to me anyway?" He pushed a strand of hair out of his eyes.

"Because." That was a good question. I know that I knew the answer. Just my tough didn't. I couldn't and can't figure out how to put it into words.

"Continue." He started to calm down. His mind looked as though he wasn't just laughing. As though he wasn't going to be taken to a facility.

"I feel like it would be my fault if you went to that facility. I'm by your side one way or another. You can't leave me." I stated. It was true. After each passing day, a weight gets heavier on my shoulders.

He stared at me biting his lip. His eyes softened once more, and for a moment, I felt normal.

A knock was heard on the door. A woman peeked her head in. "Peter I need you in my office." He stood up carefully. I watched as he trailed behind the woman closing the door behind him.

"Bye." They were already gone.

I didn't dwell on the fact that he was gone. I just thought about how he could be gone from my life all together. It was a scary thought. But everything has a solution, right?

How am I going to fix this? Why do they think he needs mental help? Maybe therapy, but not a prison. Being locked away when he didn't do anything wrong? Why?

I heard a knock on the door. "Back already?" I sat up. The door opened, but it wasn't Peter who entered. A girl with long wavy blond hair stepped into the hospital room.

"You're OK?" She rushed over. She was tan, had on a purse, booty shorts, a shirt that read yolo, and a lot of makeup.

"Who are you?... I don't mean to be r-rude." I stuttered.

"Your best friend.I can't believe you were hit that hard! That man should go to hell. Anyways, how you feelin?" She seemed to be chewing on gum.

"Why are you chewing gum?"

She mumbled something. I only caught a few words. Fresh, stealing, your, and boy.

"Your parents are so worried about you! Except for that cousin of yours. She got excited when she thought you were dead." She twirled a strand of hair.

"What cousin?" I looked at her alert.

"Bay. She's always picking fights. She threatened to kill me!" She pouted. She pulled a piece of gum out of her purse. Sticking it in her mouth, she continued chewing.

"I want you to text me everything while you're here." She handed me an iPhone. "This way I can make sure you're ok. Also I can tell you're parents how you're doing when I visit them." I took the phone in my hand. I turned it on revealing a lock screen of Peter. "He's your friend so I thought..."

"It's fine." I said turning the phone off. "Thank you."

She smirked. "No problem. Anything for my besty. Oh, and I saw some chick flirting with your Peter. That one and only boy yours. I think it's time to make a move Brooklyn. Memory or no memory, he's slipping into other girl's hands." She looked at the window them at the door. She leaned over and whispered. "He wants you Brooklyn. It's all up to you now."

The door opened. A nurse came in with a clip board. "I'm just setting this here." He walked out shutting the door behind him.

She looked back me. Taking a step back she fixed her shirt and stuck her hands in her pockets. Oh, were her nails long.

"What's your name anyway?" I asked the one question I didn't receive an answer to yet. Her eyes popped and brightened.

She smirked looking at her phone then at the window. She popped a bubble out of her gum. "Sasha Evans."