Welcoming Adult Hood

*NO ONE'S POV*

Years Later...

"Oh, Mufasa... every day Kiara grows more beautiful, into a Queen that will someday make us all very proud." Rafiki the wise baboon says. He paints a mane on Kovu, next to Kiara.

"But this cub Kovu grows stronger. And Zira fills his heart with hate. I am very worried, Mufasa. Things are not going well."

The wind blows, rattling Rafiki's gourds.

"Hmm? You have a plan?" He asks.

One gourd falls, splitting in half. Rafiki holds up the two halves against the painting of Kiara and Kovu, and brings them together until they join.

"What? Kovu... Kiara... together? This is the plan?" Rafiki then yells, "Are you crazy? This will never work! Oh, Mufasa, you been up there too long. Your head is in the clouds!"

The wind blows hard at Rafiki.

"Okay, okay, okay! Okay! All right-- okay! I don't think this is going to work... but I trust you. I just hope you know what you are doing!"

Out Lands

Kovu, now an young adult, is sitting on a rock while Zira slinks around him.

"You are ready!" She chuckles. "Nice... very nice. You have the same blackness in your soul that Scar had. What is your destiny?"

"I will avenge Scar... take his place in the Pride Lands." Kovu answers.

"Yes! What have I taught you?"

"Simba is the enemy."

"And what must you do?"

"I must kill him!"

Outsider lionesses roar in reply.

Pride Lands

Queen Nala is walking towards King Simba, who is sitting at the end of the assembled pride lionesses. He looks quite worried and sad, but he sighs gently and forces a smile when his wife Nala reaches him.

One of the lionesses said, "Wow, her first hunt! You must be so proud, Queen Nala. Here she is!"

Princess Kiara emerges from over a hill on the trail. She looks at Rafiki, who is standing next to the path. She looks worried until Rafiki speaks to her.

"Kiara." He says.

Zazu alights nearby. Timon and Pumbaa embrace goofily.

Other lionesses said, "Good luck, Kiara! She'll be great. Her first hunt! You can do it! It's your day, Kiara. Good luck, Kiara!"

Very old Sarafina also commented and said, "My, how you've grown!"

Nala and Kiara nuzzle. Simba is looking vaguely glum.

"You'll do just fine." Nala smiles.

Kiara looks at Simba. "Daddy... you have to promise to let me do this on my own. Promise?"

Simba glances at Nala, who raises her eyebrows at him. He rolls his eyes upward acquiescently.

"All right... I promise." He said.

They rub heads; Timon and Pumbaa break into tears. Kiara looks back, and then runs off into the fields. Simba moves surreptitiously over to Timon and Pumbaa.

He says quietly, "Make sure she doesn't get hurt."

Timon and Pumbaa begin humming in a show of nonchalance, and sidle away off the rock until they drop over the side and out of view.

Kiara is hunting. Trying to be quiet, she steps on a branch, which cracks and sends a herd of antelope running. Kiara runs frustratedly after them.